Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Hi,

We are coming down to AC this Dec. 15-22. Been looking at all the restaurants and their menus. My wife is concerned in that most all the menus appear to be pretty expensive. We are considering renting a house during the winter months and I need your input -- rent shouldn't be that bad, but how do you enjoy yourself but not "break the bank". We drink rum, not beer and plan to cook ourselves a good deal but I had hoped that we could stop somewhere for lunch and not drop $30.00. From what I have read you can find some good food at the local stands (chicken, beans & rice, etc.)

Please advise what I should look for during the week we are here..

Thanks,

Julian

Julian & Karol - Upstate SC

Julian -- you can, yes! There are some great "holes in the wall" and safe street stands from which to choose. I will let the locals elaborate on locations and names, but we've been very happy with mixing and matching our styles and prices.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
There are some great local places that are not expensive like Warumguma on middle street A beef burrito there is $20 bzd and enough for 2 people Shrimp is a bit more

Also lots of smaller taco stands and cheap bbq as well on weekends you can get a tostada for $1 bzd

The taco lady in town sells for $5 bzd

I have not tried the antijitos places yet but looking to do so heard some good things about the food and prices.

many of the restaurants have better prices for their lunch menus (something to consider)

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

S
S
Antojitos; Breakfast = $2.50, Lunch = $4

Tons of local places, that's where we eat! I'm so sick of people saying it's soooo expensive here and how do the locals make it. Easy, we eat good and cheap! Stay away from A/C supermarkets and follow the locals to the nearest "kitchen" as we call it.

Three meals a day can be purchased for $7.50 per day, if you are good.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Note that when you are looking at the on-line menus, the prices are usually noted in $bz. 2$bz=1$US.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
S
S
you MUST visit the pupusa lady (Maria Flores- I've been told is her name) at Warumguma. When we were there for a week we ate there DAILY! LOL. And Bobber is right- unless otherwise noted cut the cost in half for the cost in $US. Most resorts we found had the cost in $US already and they were QUITE costly! Eat as the locals do and you'll be fine. No worries about food poisoning either- we were there with 25 people and NO ONE got sick and we all ate locally.

do I have to get shots to go there? 8o)
This is really to all of you... thanks! I'll keep this info and enjoy eating well without the high cost. This is really what I hope d to hear and, boy, am I glad I did.

Heading to Ambergris Caye Aug 4th - 11th....Glad to hear any suggestions....Thank all of you!!!!!

S
S
We just returned from Ambergris Caye last week and I wanted to also say that we enjoyed Waruguma on Middle street for lunch two times. We ate the lobster burrito...$11 american and my daughter I shared one and were stuffed! Very reasonable price and more lobster than you could imagine. You must try one at least once during your stay.

B
B
My wife and I ate pretty well on our tip down in April. Papi's Diner was great food and not expensive. Sweet Basil's (North of the Cut) was a the most expensive place we ate and it was around $20US. Go to the grocery the locals use and not the fancy ones for tourists.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.