Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thanks again, Your keeping me smiling :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
B
birder Offline OP
OP Offline
B
At the risk of seeming obsessed with this issue, I asked a local resort owner this morning (yes, I'm now here on CC)if he had ever seen a tarantula on the island. He said he saw his first one, in 29 years, yesterday? I only arrived yesterday and he saw his first tarantula yesterday! I ask you, what are the chances of that?

Elbert, I can only conclude that you are right. Tarantulas are wily. And they're out to get me!

A pet raccoon is what you need , I've seen them eat Tarantulas like they where enjoying a candy bar.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
A pet tarantula would be much better

B
birder Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Elbert, I think we've found a property, now where do we pick up the raccoons?

And Jesse, YUCK! I know people do keep them as pets but truly, YUCK!

A colleague of my husband's shipped his pet tarantula to his posting in Europe. Two of the tarantulas legs got knocked off in transit so he took it to the vet who glued them back on and the tarantula was "good as new." His words, not mine. He was hugely pleased at the resilience of his leggy friend but all I could think was what kind of monstrous pet can be put together with crazy glue and keep on trucking?

S
S
Just wait till you try dealing with a raccoon!

B
birder Offline OP
OP Offline
B
But they have only two eyes, a reasonable number of legs, and are furry in a good way.

I have never heard of a tarantula biting anyone - have you? I think the movies have done injustice to a lot of critters. They choose things they can make look scary - not that they are dangerous. On land and in the sea most critters want to get away from us and do unless we corner them.
Where ever there is a lot of foot traffic you are not likely to find anything dangerous. I do have to saw though that I was shocked when I was bitten on the toe by a Brown Recluse Spider. Thank goodness I knew what it was and how to treat it.
The most annoying insects to me are the fire ants. The mosquitoes come and go with the weather.
Snakes are our friends they keep the rodent population down.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
birder,
ScubaLdy is right on about the fire ants. I was unlocking our golf cart at night and was unknowingly standing on a fire ant mound. Oh the pain!!! Forget about the tarantulas - keep on the look out for those nasty little fire ants! They like to hang out at the base of trees in the shade. Just in case, pour rubbing alcohol over the bites ASAP, it helps a little but not much.
I hope you and your husband have a wonderful time.
Pam

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself"
C
C
When we were in Caye Caulker and went on the crocodile cruise our boat captain commented to my husband about the "spider eyes" in the mangroves. That creeped me out entirely especially when we went really close to the mangroves (basically brushing up) - if one could see the eyes in the dark I really didn't want to see what went with the eyes. That being said - nothing landed on me so all fine.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 161 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day