Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
We haven't encountered many pitfalls although some of the differences have been challenging and taught us new things about ourselves and life in general.

Smiling, kindness, patience and an endless sense of humour are definite musts.

We've found the expat community to be extremely social and friendly. They are a microcosm of people who for, whatever reason, have been drawn to San Pedro and are trying to make a new life here. So, straight away you have something in common with them. Because it is a small community with one main road, you see everyone frequently and may get to know a bit more about them, than perhaps you would like to at times, but then its likely they are going to see you at your best and worst at some time too. That leads to a village or extended family feeling that I haven't experienced anywhere else and I like it. You have to accept and be accepted warts and all.

But we certainly didn't move to a new country with a new culture to spend all our time with Europeans or Americans. Our life has been enriched and our knowledge expanded through the friendships we have been lucky enough to make with Belizeans.

I received some good advice before we moved here and I've picked up a little more along the way.

- If you have any personal or relationship issues, sort them out before you come here.

- Don't leave your brain at the border.

- Be open minded, tolerant and patient. Do not judge others based on your own cultural standards.

- Identify drama early and stay away from it.

- Enjoy gossip and accept that you will be gossiped about (although you're probably not nearly as interesting as you think you are).

- If you have any alcohol or substance abuse issues, sort them out before coming here.

- Get to know your neighbours.

- Be aware that you are a guest in Belize. You are the foreigner and you should adapt to things, not expect Belize to adapt for you.

- Enjoy learning. Belize has an amazing mix of cultures and histories that make it such a fascinating and beautiful country. Let Belizeans teach you about it.

- Don't make assumptions about anything or anyone.

And finally - relax, enjoy and remind yourself every morning that you live in paradise.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

T
T
The Real Deal the book was written about living on a island in the West Indies. They did not release the name of the island, why do you say it was based on Antigua? Kinja was the name of the island, and the book said the name was changed to Amerigo. Did Herman Wouk release the true island name?

E
E
A classic from Herman Wouk. This is copied and pasted from Wikipedia as to the island Wouk based this on :

Wikipedia : This book is based on development in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands in the 1960s when hotel on the cay was on the verge of being built.

Well said Colly. Once again you have put my thoughts into words much more elequently than I ever could. Thanks.

I think many come to SP for the purpose of memory loss! and it works.
That is a pro to moving to SP not a con
Mary

mary
Yes well said Colly.

I have wanted to reply to this post but was not sure what to say. Much of what people might consider a downside - I consider an adventure and a learning experience.

I always say it is a bit like living in the wild west here. Things are different here than they were in Canada and I like that. Luckily we both have patience and are able to enjoy how it is over getting upset that it is not the same.

I do not think some people realize how life changing this Island can be.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

T
T
Ernesto thanks , I thought that it was based on Saint Croix. That is where I lived met my wife Tina.The book really helped me accept and embrace the changes I would have to make if I was going to live the "Caribbean island life". What a classic!

R
R
Deal, I was thinking that it was about St. Thomas but maybe that is because I remember buying it there about 15 years ago. The girl in the store thought that it was demeaning to the locals and didn't want to sell it to me.

It applies in a way to all undeveloped countries. If you go down there to go in business in this case and expect it to work like the US, then forget it. Everything that can go wrong will and don't believe anything that your promised. A good read.

PS I sure saw that Tim thought it was that neck of the woods also.

Last edited by ragman; 12/21/08 11:18 AM.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
the pro and con of living on the island may be different for different people. Each person has to decide what is important to them.
I think is a big attraction to SP is the small town feel the bonding of friends and the way people help each other is seen in SP everyday.
Mary

mary
I don't have an alcohol abuse problem here at home. Apparently, I've sorted it out by going to SP to let it loose.

Were I to move to SP, I'd have to change my SP ways to be more like those at home. This would probably be a much easier adjustment, had the move been made years ago, before I'd had so many off the chain trips.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 178 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.