Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I used to have 50 electric carts on the Island in a rental fleet and I would say that contrary to most peoples thinking that the gas carts are MUCH GREENER that the electric carts are.
When almost everyone was using electric carts there were big piles of old batteries all over the island and in peoples yards, turned upside down pouring the acid into the ground, it was terrible.
Also, an electric golf cart is engineered to go as far as you can hit a golf ball, with two people on board, stop and cool off and go that distance again. Not take off for two or three or ten miles with four people on board and see if you get back or not.
I am sure that the Island is much better off with gas carts in the long run.

skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
The issue here is air quality. It's a shock to go from the sweet clean air of the beach from the eastlerly breezes to the streets where the exhaust fumes are worse than any major city I've been in. Pollution control devices on cars have indeed improved air quality in urban areas. Gas carts are polluters of the worse kind with no emission mitigation. So to say gas carts are greener is just absurd. Used batteries are recycled, and are exchanged for cash by the stores that sell them.

But the question here is, would people accept a mandated switch, or would there be an uproar? This was the question posed. Are people so fond of the speed and power (and noise) that they would resist a switch?

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
It wouldn't bother me {personally} I prefer elec carts over gas carts. Way cheaper in the long run. NO noise pollution!! And only people who couldn't give a damn do not dispose of old batteries correctly.

Reality..What a concept!
Originally Posted by skippy
But the question here is, would people accept a mandated switch, or would there be an uproar? This was the question posed. Are people so fond of the speed and power (and noise) that they would resist a switch?

The people would definitely not accept a mandated switch. How in your wildest dreams could you expect the people to AFFORD to just go out and by electric carts. And what would you do with the existing gas carts. Just a pipe dream!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
J
J
HI THERE,

I am looking for a pilot to fly a Bn2a Islander aircraft full time or part time any one interested can contact me via email on the below

[email protected]

tel#: 592-623-7898 - my mobile .

S
S
"Used batteries are recycled, and are exchanged for cash by the stores that sell them."

Maybe in a perfect world, I seriously doubt that anything but a small percentage of batteries are recycled here.

Speaking of recycling, I don't see anywhere where all the used oil from gas carts and gas vehicles can be recycled. I talked to Caribeana and they don't do it. One good guess as to where it all goes.

JZB Offline
Naturally, I would be all for an electric cart mandate, but that is because I already drive one. When this one dies, I'll get another electric cart. I have no desire to own a gas cart. I enjoy the peace and quiet of my cart and not having to worry about buying gas. My cart goes fast enough for me. Since I have lived here I have seen all the electric carts morph over to gas and honestly I don't like it. And now the gas carts are morphing over to the big polaris type vehicles. I understand some people need a gas vehicle to be able to cover the distances they drive but surely it is not a necessity for all.

Just my two cents.

J
J
HI THERE,

I am looking for a pilot to fly a Bn2a Islander aircraft full time or part time any one interested can contact me via email on the below

[email protected]

tel#: 592-623-7898 - my mobile

Rgs
Mr. Ryan Jaggernauth

Where are you?

Reality..What a concept!
S
S
Originally Posted by SimonB
"Used batteries are recycled, and are exchanged for cash by the stores that sell them."

Maybe in a perfect world, I seriously doubt that anything but a small percentage of batteries are recycled here.

Go out to the Town Council equipment yard south of town and you'll see batteries stacked neatly right-side-up awaiting shipment to Belize. The trash collectors will transport them for you if necessary.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 133 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.