Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
D
Wow, i read your story and was considering moving my family there, buying 100 acres/ranch and running my business located in the USA from a tropical rain forest paradise. Seems the more i delve into the idea, the more it sounds like a mistake. Well not a total mistake, the tropical paradise is obviously there, but the gov. seems to really dislike people from other countrys immigrating and tons of hassles/corruption etc.

At first i thought it may just be a few incidents, but the belize news even broadcasts the corruption. Are there similar countrys located in South America that do not have these type of problems and welcome retiring peoples from abroad?

Last edited by darin111; 04/25/09 02:34 PM.
S
S
You should realize that one person's misadventure doesn't define everyone elses experience.

D
D
I understand, im evaluating a bunch of incidents not just Harvys. I received some great advice and great experiences as well.

Its concerning that a person can buy property and fear entering the country to enjoy it because of an unfortunate incident as a motorhome fire. It seems Harvey could actualy go to jail for a police investigation thats most likely just an inexperienced policeman dreaming up a theory. Theres not even dna testing in the whole country yet a tiny local police investigation with virtualy no resources whatsoever probably with no forensic testing ability or testing equipment can determine a motorhome fire. Motorhomes/trailers burn up so often here in the USA its the most common insurance claim on recreational vehicles.

E
E
grin

Harvey Offline OP
OP Offline
You appear to be an educated, considerate and involved individual in live. What you said is very true, in my case at least. I have bitter memories of my expreiences with the Belize government and local self-important officials. It seems that there whenever a minor official is granted some authority it goes straight to his head giving him believe he is a 'minor' God with unexcelled powers. I came in contact with more of this type than you could possibly believe, from Customs minor-officials at the boarders to minor Police officers. My motor home did burn, it was not arson, the police removed 'all' of my personal property from my home there saying it was declared destroyed in the fire, even though I had duplicate items verifiable by many friends and business associates there. None of these items were of consequence as they were not insured nor claimed for any form of reinbursement. My 'personal' opinion is simply that the officers saw all of my personal effects and wanted them for their personal use. Now, if I am mistaken, where are my personal effects, why does the Police Deprtment refuse to furnish me with an inventory of what they removed and why did they return two weeks later and try to remove the gasoline generator from the vehicle that was not destroyed by fire? Too many questions and no answers. So, please, do not enter Belize believing you will find a tropical paradise with all the comforts and safety you desire. The government from the top to the very bottom is more than just corrupt it is deplorablee. If you shake hands with anybody from any department of the governent there, please, count your fingers twice and make certain you still have all rings and your watch. They will steal you blind and then kick your seeing-eye dog to death.

Harvey Wood
okay harvey - you have had your say - over and over and over again. enough already. yes it is a sad story and I sympathize with your plight.

good luck in your new life. People considering moving to Belize should be aware that there are good people and bad people here. And sometimes people have good luck and sometimes they are not so lucky.

Everybody gets to tell his story and others make comments. Then life must go on.

Originally Posted by darin111

At first i thought it may just be a few incidents, but the belize news even broadcasts the corruption. Are there similar countrys located in South America that do not have these type of problems and welcome retiring peoples from abroad?

darin111 - I hate to be the one to tell you this but, there is corruption in every country in the world - yes this includes all of central and south america - oh and north america too.

Do you research, come down for an extended visit(6 months minimum) - and if it feels right buy your land and move the family down. 6 months gives you a chance to make friends and start learning the ropes. You might end up choosing a different area of the country. But no amount of listening to other people's stories is going to fully prepare you and your unique family for this move.

D
D
Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the reply. Im not new to crime/corruption in other countrys. Been to europe, Russia, all over Mexico. Usualy there is a higharchy dealing with most legal systems. Hopefully it is true with Belize and you can get into touch with a higher authority to work out problems.

As i do with all my endeavors, i like to get the local oppinions and news. Im 40 years old married and 2 children, 16 and 9 months. Obviously there not many people in their right mind that would advise us relocating to Belize City as the information i gather it may be possibly the most dangerous place on the planet minus a few African murder zones.

As im considering the Toledo district, theres not much information anywhere as the area is hardly populated as well as probably a real inaccurate census.

People on this forum have differnt views/experiences, some like it some dont. Some are nice, some not and some seem down right hostile when they hear about someones misfortunes that happend in Belize and possibly happy to see others misfortunes. Rather then talk about it and possibly improve the situation it appears some expatriots in Belize have an attitude of "dont like it get the "F" out!". In the USA when somebody has a misfortune there are also the few who react the same way, we call them jackass's.

Its actualy shocking to read some of the things people say to others who had misfortunes in their relocation to Belize. Seems the expatriot community is decisivly different the youd expect.

I live in Califonia and tour throughout the USA regularly and it doesnt even enter my mind when i walk around i could get mugged/ murdered and my family raped, but i dont walk arounf Los Angeles either.

My basic concern is if i bought 100 or so acres in the toledo district and retire can my children walk to town/school like my children do here in the USA without feeling a bandit will drag them into the bush or a machete weilding drug addict trying to hack my arm off for a dollar? Will i have to carry a weapon everywhere i go?

Belize seems to be a mystery to even people who live there. Im not understanding how there can be a murder almost everyday with a population of a few hundred thousand. Somethings not making sence, is the population shrinking or do more people die there then being born? and how can the average age in Belize be 19-20 years old?

Your children will be fine as will you. First thing is if you buy 100 acres you will be way outside of town to begin with. Depending on the village, there may be a school, but it will be way below your childrens current level. We moved here with 3 out of 4 of our kids. Our oldest was 20 at the time and stayed in the US.

Our youngest was 4 when she arrived and 6 months after being here was molested by our neighbors son. Attitudes here are not the same as the US, many consider women second class citizens to be used. We learned the hard way, and keep a close eye on our girls. But now that we are part of the community here everyone watches out for my children just as much as they watch out for their own.

There are estimated 300,000 people living in Belize with estimates of 150,000 in the US. I am a card carryng NRA member,love to target shoot and hunt, so moving here and having to get rid of all my guns was very hard, but I have as yet ever felt the need for carrying any weapon.

As I mentioned, you really need to try an extended visit to Toledo, live there a while, get to know the area, the culture and make some friends. See what your assessment is of the area.

I am quite surprised at the statistics you are mentioning. Here on the island we certainly have significantly more births than deaths - of course this is just one small island - a tiny microcosm of the entire nation.

For info on Toledo you would be much better off visiting a Belize message board forum where there are more people that have experienced life in those areas.

Ambergris Caye is absolutely nothing like the Toledo district.

It is probably time to come for a visit so that you can formulate your own opinions based on facts - not info you are are gathering from an anonymous message board.

Good luck, enjoy and report back.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.