Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#340625 06/08/09 12:25 PM
D
OP Offline
D
OK, I need some help please. First, to let you know, I am not a fisherman - and know very little about fishing. All I know is that when we normally go on vacation we go deep sea fishing where they put the line in the water and troll (I think that's what it is called) until something grabs the bait and then we reel in - hoepfully. So what is the difference between flats fishing and reef fishing. Let me give you more info about our party. Only 2 of 5 of us like to eat fish. Two like to catch the "big" one and I like to go along for the ride. So what would you suggest we go on?
Thanks,
Dee

You are indeed trolling when you go deep sea fishing.This is the method used to catch the Pelagic fish( Sail, Marlin, Wahoo, Mahi Mahi, Tuna.

When you are reef fishing you will throw the Baited hook to a specific area and wait till you get a hit,The fish you Target on the reef are, Snapper, (many species) Grouper( if your lucky), grunt and a variety of other coral dwelling fish.

When you are Flats fishing you will sight cast to a given fish. This is mostly,but not always, done by a flyrod and fly imitation of the bait the fish prefer.
The fish you will target in this type of fishing is Permit, Bone fish, and tarpon. none of these fish are legal to keep. Belize has placed them on the catch and release list. Good for them I might add.
So if your 2 friends want fish to eat they will need to either Deep sea fish, or reef fish.

Never Use money to measure wealth
HE IS THE DEAL AND THE SKINNY ..GO TRY REEF FISHING GO A HALF DAY OR FULL DAY I LIKE HALF DAY MY SELF I GO DOWN HERE TO FISH ALMOST EACH MONTH IT IS CHEAP AND TONS OF FUN.. THEY TEACH YOU HOW TO FISH ,THEY WILL BAIT YOUR HOOKS TAKE THE FISH OFF AND AT THE END OF THE TRIP CLEAN YOUR CATCH TO EAT AT NIGHT .IT IS MORE THAN HALF THE STATE SIDES PRICES GO TO FISHINGSANPEDRO.COM PRICES START AT ONLY $195 US PER BOAT NOT PER PERSON A REAL BUY AND STEVE IS THE BROKER FOR SEVEN LOCAL GUIDES THAT WHERE BORN HERE SO A GOOD CATCH IS FOR SURE ..A PLUS HE TAKES CREDIT CARDS NO CASH NEEDED ..GO LIVE THE DREAM AND ENJOY .

Last edited by captjeff; 06/08/09 02:47 PM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
Bill is also an expert at bar fishing, where one casts bait in the form of dollars at local guides, called "bar tenders" who then ensure a steady catch of Belikins. I have seen him reel in Belikin after Belikin. He is quite skilled.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
smile Nice HighJack KC. You can ask for lessons anytime Buddy. I show you how to catch ( never release ) the best of the bar's fish. You throw the dollars of course

Never Use money to measure wealth
I would be honored, my friend!!

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
And if you don't want to pay a broker, I know some local skippers who you can deal with directly.

As to your question about flats fishing, that is done either by wading or from flats boats, in skinny water (1-3 feet depending on current tides), usually for bonefish and permit. Tarpon and snook are taken from flats boats also but in a little deep water, usually lagoon areas. Flats fishing usually means with a fly rod these days, and although that's my passion, I'll use a spinning setup for species larger than bones and permit (especially with barracuda, which are great eating by the way, the smaller ones anyway) and fish for them from a boat or dinghy. You would be surprised how effective "trolling" with a spoon or other smaller lure can be from a dinghy going slowly. But again that's in deeper water, not the flats.

If you're looking for eating fish, do as capt jeff recommends and reef fish.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
skippy a broker there are not to many here that i know is the way to go there is not reef fishing for less then from $195 us freakin cheap and for that he takes credit cards and books the guides does all the work for you and the guys he uses have wide nice boats some with bathrooms .not21 or 23 foot mexcian skiffs ,pangas wich woble and may not be stable in rough waters not bad for me but might be unstable for others and i think not good for new folks fishing not wide enough .the guys i am talking about abel gurrero ,peter graniel and lots more all the best of the best proven ,licenced captains/tour guides .. And are great old time guides and worth the money .what will you save 10 bucks 20 bucks they do not credit cards and who are they and what kind of equpt and boat >>>>>?????? just my humble opinion ..on booking a fishing trip .i think the reef is action and fun for newbies it makes there trip a living the dream time ..

Last edited by captjeff; 06/08/09 09:44 PM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
K
K
Deedeeuz: Your post sounds more like a party boat deal(not being derogatory)with 3 or more folks along. The pangas/flatsfishing boats get cramped with more than 2 fishers on board.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.