Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#342838 06/28/09 02:29 PM
kris48 Offline OP
OP Offline
Trip report San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize, June 19-26

This was our sixth trip to Belize in 4 years. We stayed at the Palms, again, and were not disappointed. The view is amazing, the condos are well maintained and very clean, the staff is helpful and very nice, and the walk to town is very short. I don't think we would even consider staying elsewhere.

A couple of negatives to get out of the way first. Town was not crowded at all, even though it was Lobster Fest. We have been there at the same time the last few years, and I was surprised at how few people were around. Walked right in to some of the higher end restaurants without reservations. Certainly not good for their economy. The other thing, possibly related, was the aggressive behaviors of some of the time share folks. Stopped several times while walking by folks on golf carts, trying to get us to go to their presentation, not time share, mind you, but interval ownership, or something similar. They were no where near a booth. Then, on the beach in front of Belizean Reef, near a booth, we were stopped several times a day by one particularly aggressive young man. My feeling, once you have stopped us 3 times, stop. We actually started walking the alley instead of the beach to get past this guy. I asked him to stop hassling us, and walked away, but it seems he made an out of line comment to DH.

Now the good. The food! Everywhere was good. We ate at Blue Water Grill, El Patio, Sunset Grill, Elvi's, Estelle's three times, Celi's, etc. Mostly lobster or grilled fish. The flautas (fish) at Elvi's are excellent, but so was everything else. Went to Caulker one day and ate at Rainbow Grill-also excellent. All week we asked about our favorite waiter, Kevin, also known as Junior from Ambergris Delights, and formerly Jade Garden. Finally found him our last day there. He now has a barbeque stand across from Belize Bank on the corner on Front Street. This is a hard working young man, and very personable. Also, his chicken is excellent, with rice and beans and slaw for $5 US. If you get the chance, check it out. He and his partner are working hard to open their own place. They also have sausage, and ribs and grilled fish on the weekends.

We really needed a down week, after a rough spring, and that's exactly what we did. Lots of reading, swimming, good food, and staring at the reef. Back to the real world tomorrow, but already planning the next escape. Did I mention I hate the Miami Airport? Best option for us as shortest flights, but it is always an adventure!

kris48 #342926 06/29/09 02:21 PM
kris, my kind of trip and it's scheduled in 3 weeks.

We stayed at Belizean Reef in February and know that salesman you were talking about. I just told him on day 1 that we owned a condo at BR and he didn't borther us any more. I told all other salesman the same thing. It worked.

Staring at the reef is a favorite past time. So relaxing, but I can't take it home. Heck it would be the same if I could. Of course friends, food, Belikin's and sea makes for a wonderful time.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
azbob #342937 06/29/09 03:09 PM
"Of course friends, food, Belikin's and sea makes for a wonderful time."

That reminds me.. You owe me a Belikins.... Oh wait maybe I owe you.. NEVERMIND!!!!! smile

Never Use money to measure wealth
Bill Mc Ghee #342947 06/29/09 05:59 PM
Hey Bill, we each owe each other, sooooo let's have a party!!!! laugh

azbob #343310 07/01/09 10:57 PM
C
C
AZBOB - that is always my line (or that we already own property) It works well and isn't too far from the truth. Was this young man's name Brian perhaps?

Live Laugh Love
colomojo #343433 07/02/09 05:51 PM
colo, I don't remember his name, but he was nice the rest of the week after we got past the "no sale"!

azbob #343435 07/02/09 05:56 PM
A neighbor of ours, who owns property here but comes down only once a year had a similar experience with TS sailesman last winter. I thought he had a delightful way of handling it. He listened to everything the guy had to say, about 20 minutes worth. Our neighbor, then asked him everything about himself, where he came from, if he was married, you know, all of it. Then, he told the guy he had a great concept, and that maybe they could meet up for dinner later. When the guy agreed after about forty minutes, our neighbor said, "Sure, I own a condo here" He walked away and was not bothered again the entire trip, but he also got the satisfaction of wasting forty minutes of the guy's time.

Change your Latitude
shuffles #343474 07/03/09 06:40 AM
you should see how they look like deer in the headlights when you start lecturing them on the short sightedness of environmental devastation of their beautiful island, killing the golden goose for one man's profit, the greed & corruption of developers and how none of the workers are belizean anyway. (then i tell them i live there) shuts em up right quick. grin

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 193 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.