Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#344765 07/14/09 09:48 AM
OP Offline

Opinion
World U.S. N.Y. / Region Business Technology Science Health Sports Opinion Arts Style Travel Jobs Real Estate Autos Editorials Columnists Contributors Letters The Public Editor Global Opinion The City Life
Wildlife

Published: July 13, 2009
The Brooklyn neighborhoods just across the harbor from Lower Manhattan were remade by the arrival of indoor plumbing. Once the outhouses were swept away, the adjoining backyards evolved into islands of green walled in by 19th-century townhouses.

The miniature forest behind my house startled us recently by disgorging a pair of raccoons. They had scaled a perimeter fence at the far end of the block and ended up at my reflecting pool. I was still asleep when the animals touched down in the yard, but a neighbor later described one of the them as roughly "the size of a small bear."

As the news spread, houses went into lockdown. Cats and small children were swept indoors. Windows were shut tight. I got caught up in the moment and dialed 911. The emergency operator was cordial, but said that police officers didn't like raccoon duty. The operator at 311, the city's help line, asked if my raccoons where "rhabeet."

I gathered this much: We were on our own with raccoons, unless they were frothing at the mouth. This policy has worked up to now. But, with the raccoon population growing and moving into more and more urban neighborhoods, a new approach might soon be needed.

My raccoon visitors were the first I had heard of in the area. But after canvassing the neighborhood, I found that their brethren had been closing in on our patch of ground for a few years now. There were raccoon stories from neighborhoods in every direction, including one to the south, where masked raiders had pilfered food by entering houses through cat doors. An elderly neighbor told of friends who no longer walked on a nearby street at night for fear of running into big furry foragers.

Suburbanites and rural folks are no doubt laughing at us. But city slickers are entitled to be unnerved. Meeting 20 pounds of fangs and claws in a fenced-in urban yard and glimpsing the masked animal in a grassy country meadow make for two very different experiences. The shock is metaphysical. The raccoons are bringing an unadulterated wildness into a place where nature has traditionally been neutered, domesticated and kept on a very short leash. laugh

Reality..What a concept!
A
A
"unadulterated wildness" almost an oxymoron...LOL

Last week, I was !surprise! to see Raccoons in the Southern part of Ambergris Caye. It pleased me, and I thought aren't we all lucky nature finds a way to thrive in the wake of our foot prints.

OP Offline
We have eight or nine heading for our garbage can every night, a person has to take care not to trip over them on the way out the gate, many times the baby coons get inside the trash can and cannot get out, so you have to tip the can on the side to release them....life with coons. grin

Reality..What a concept!
P
P
Occasionally I find them inside my house, after the cat/dog food. They look cute & cuddly, but I know their reputation and I'm very wary of them.

Originally Posted by Peter Jones
Occasionally I find them inside my house, after the cat/dog food. They look cute & cuddly, but I know their reputation and I'm very wary of them.

Right you are Peter, coons are nasty, especially if they think one of their babies is in danger. Not sure how they get into your house, but you might want to stop that before they decide to move in and built a nest. They can make quite a mess and will chew their way in or out if they have to. I don't know whether rabies is a problem on AC, but coons are common carriers.

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
Raccoons are nothing to be pleased about. Big, mean, unafraid of people, deadly to pets, and disease carriers.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
D
D

Kill em' before they multiply.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 196 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.