Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34955 02/17/01 12:49 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I'm considering AC for an upcoming holiday in April or May and I always travel solo.

I'm a beach person and enjoy nightlife, but not a heavy club scene. My usual holiday spot is the Islamorada in the Florida Keys, so that should give a clue about my simplistic needs/wants.

The point(s) I'm getting at:

Is AC a good place for holiday, insofar as safety, for a woman travelling solo?

Does AC have a nice quality of nightlife (not too upscale, not too tacky)?

Is AC "duffel bag" travel (swimwear/jeanskirts/t-shirts)?

and most importantly:

Is AC topless???!!! (tan lines, the bane of a great tan!)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

#34956 02/17/01 09:22 AM
P
P
Hi Carole AC is safe just watch yourself like you would in the states you will be fine.
I didnt see no topless beaches while there.
the nightlife is fun there relaxed not pushy.

The snorkeling is fantastic!!!

#34957 02/17/01 11:14 AM
Can't compare Isla Bonita to Islamorada, as I've hardly done more than drive by Islamorada on Highway 1, but I would say based on the size and type of hotels there ae on Islamorado there are some similarities.

Indeed, Ambergris Caye is a lot like Key West in the **1960s,** or maybe the **50s** and nothing like Key West of today. One similarity between Ambergris Caye and most of the Florida Keys would be the beaches. Neither have the wide sandy beaches you find in the Yucatan or on the west coast or panhandle of Florida. And like the Florida Keys there is great fishing. The snorkeling off Ambergris of course is much better.

Nightlife is just about right for many of us -- you can hear some music and drink, but it's fairly laidback and not like so many resort islands.

You occasionally see visitors topless at certain hotels, but as Belize is a former British colony it is not as accepted as in many other places.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#34958 02/17/01 11:45 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Patriot and Lan.

Lan, I started poking through your site, lots of great stuff there, thanks.

I'm also getting overwhelmed by the choices of accommodations. The prices are great, now I need to decide which area is best to stay. Walking distance to town is obvious.

#34959 02/17/01 04:13 PM
K
K
Hi,
I am a single and lived in Belize for 5 years. You will be fine. A good place to hang out is Fido's Courtyard.
In regard to topless, the San Pedranos frown on that. When I lived there a private resort had some topless tourists and they closed the resort down for awhile. The locals want tourists and you will be treated well, but some things they don't want to see on their island. I am big on respecting the culture and remembering that as a tourist I am also a guest. I'm not saying you can't do it, I've seen it happening at the end of piers and places that are a bit more secluded, but in a busier area, I'd discourage it.
From what you wrote, it sounds like San Pedro would be a place you would really enjoy. It is easy to meet people. You will have a wonderful time.
Just one more comment, as a single woman, I would recommend staying close to town, although San Pedro is very safe, I wouldn't want to walk a mile by myself late at night.

Karen Pasquariello
#34960 02/17/01 07:57 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Karen,

I appreciate your comments much, thanks.

I feel comfortable already! If you have any suggestions on accommodations near town, that'd be great.

#34961 02/17/01 10:34 PM
If you look under the recent thread 'help on places to stay' I've listed some of my recommended places. Also, just use the search facility on this forum to find tons of information folks have posted on places to stay.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#34962 02/17/01 10:36 PM
M
M
Not sure what you are looking for in accomodations,whether you want a kitchen, pool,etc. We stayed at the Seven Seas hotel last September and really enjoyed it.They have a small pool in the back of the hotel which is very secluded,fenced on two sides, with the office and a new addition that they were still completing on the other two sides. It was really HOT sitting by the pool (which is what we love) because it was so contained by the fences/buildings on all sides that it did not get any breeze. The SS's is close to town, but not close enough for us to walk as my husband has a bad hip and can't walk that far.Others who stayed there when we did walked into town, however. We rented a golf cart for the week and it was wonderful.SS's has a living room/ equipped kitchen combo with microwave, stove, fridge,etc.Others on the board have mentioned Ruby's in town as an inexpensive, basic hotel room.We are used to topless bathing during our vacations to Mexico and the Domincan Republic, but as mentioned, it is not common on AC. However, most of the folks who stayed at the SS's either went diving, took day trips or snorkeled and we had the pool all to ourselves, so you may be ok there.I would not think that topless would work on the pier out front, because the locals use the beach and bring their kids. You could e-mail them for more info on the subject. The island is a wonderful, magical place! We always felt safe, but also as mentioned, don't venture out late at nite alone. Have a wonderful time!

Mary and Scott
#34963 02/19/01 09:55 AM
M
M
Picture Islamorada off season. That's San Pedro. You will like it. Relaxed people, less traffic, lots of water related activities, just enough to do at night.

#34964 02/20/01 06:04 PM
J
J
If any of you are insomniacs, you will understand. Around 1:00AM I took off from Coconuts, walked the beach then took a left into town. Met the "ladies", had a snack from the street vendors, scratched lots of dogs and cats and was then driven the rest of the way home by a policeman in his golf cart! I wouldn't do this in the States but I felt absolutely comfortable on AC. On old lady walking alone was fine!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.