Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
S
S
Who is "We"?

J
J
Hi Jesse, "We" is all of us on this blog and make San Pedro a better place.

Originally Posted by Belizebird
About 120 acres or more appears to be low lying mangrove marsh with only about two apparent places of higher elevation in the subdivision. A two minute rain shower made most of it quite soggy so I can only imagine what will happen in wetter times of the year. The subdivision appears about a mile long. The roads in the subdivision as they are now look like they would be completely unusable. Some of the terrain would likely stop a tank, as there appear to be many rocky sinkholes. It was stated there is a road from the east being build, however it was also stated that it's being pushed through so the developer can get road access to a much more southerly piece of property. With that being the case it appears as though the road will go "by" the eastern half of the subdivision and not necessarily get completed "through" or "within" the subdivision, if it gets completed at all. Construction had been stopped last I heard and there is some local debate about whether or not the developer even has permission from the property owners to finish the road at all. The contract specifically states in the final clause, "For greater clarity, and without restricting the generality of the foregoing, the Seller makes no representation whatsoever with regard to the supply of land fill, road access, utility services or with regard to any other alterations or improvements to the Lands or the surrounding region." www.grandbelizeanestates.net

The recent hype is that power poles are supposed to go in soon, however I heard it mentioned that BEL does not intend to pay for the wiring so someone else (?) would have to front a fortune per mile to string the wires. Who will that be? I dunno? I can guess it would be a conjunctive effort by the property owners since the developer expressly mentions making no representation with regard to utility so factor that into your purchase. I overheard a figure nearing seventy thousand per mile, but don't have any specific evidence of that. It's one thing to stand some trees up along side of the road, something entirely different to actually run power lines. Also the adverts mention that the subdivision is three miles from town, however this would be as the crow flies. It appears on the map to be around eight miles by road (if it ever gets finished) to the subdivision or about 15 minutes by boat plus half a mile hike back to the subdivision.

The domain grandbelizeanestates.net is registered to a realty company out of Colorado when I did a Whois search on it and does not appear to be registered to the developer or his company. The email [email protected] seems to be the only contact and it forwards to local realtors, not the developer. I did find reference to where the property, formerly government lands, was given to the developer in exchange for bad deal on a Caye near Caye Caulker. With the dismal economy abroad I have to wonder about the developer's motivation. Also check this thread:
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/352461/1.html

It was stated to me after I'd visited the lots and later found an article online that environmental groups have stopped and slowed the construction on the road, as I feel they should. The dead orchids in the subdivision look like dead soldiers on the battlefield. With the apparent low mangrove marshlands it is likely a slough of other wildlife and watershed concerns should be addressed. News indicates that injunctions have been filed against the road because no environmental studies were done. I was not told about this upfront, it was only after I'd mentioned coming back to Belize to look at the progress on the road that I was told construction had be halted.

When I made a reference to coming back to look at the road progress, signing the contract in person and paying for the lots in person something changed for a reason I still don't know? The lots I was looking at purchasing were labeled in the advert at $7,450. I was forwarded a contract for $8,850. When I mentioned the error the agent assured me he would honor the $7,450 price as advertised, however a day later I received no contract and the real estate agent informed me that now the lots I'd been looking at were $9,850 and if I wanted them that was the deal. I thought we had already made a deal? He followed up with a bit of spam about how the developer was raising the price effective October 5th and now was the time to buy cheap, but still didn't offer me the advertised price which was still indicated at $7,450. The agent who I worked with made no attempt to send me a corrected contract, made many references to "trust" and "faith", and also made no attempt to send me information on other properties outside of the subdivision in which I had mentioned interest. When I expressed my distaste with the price jump and some of my other concerns I was told, "I don't need your business. I am very busy.".

The operation is run from temporary accommodation at the Belize Yacht Club leaving me to wonder if the temporary accommodations aren't just a means of making a quick getaway if the deals go bad. A trusted local friend suggested in his opinion it was a scam and I'd never be able to build there. The lots are priced well, but judgment should probably be observed. I've found them to be incredibly misrepresented and many aspects of the subdivision are very hush, hush. Everything is a rush, rush, rush, invest, invest, invest attitude and I couldn't even have a week to get my money together before they were raising the price. I have not found one single contactable person in two weeks of searching who has purchased a lot there or has a title.

Belizebird your right on,and as I said earlier,I love the Island and live here. Don't want to see it destroyed by land sharks preying on the young naive government that hasn't developed rules and laws that prevent opportunist from capitalizing on their innocence.
I highly recommend anyone interested in buying property at this sight visit it first, and of course wear your boots!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
J
J
[Linked Image]

Thought it best to post the map from Lands Registry showing the existing subdivisions (noted as #1, 2 and 3), and their 2,000+ existing property owners, who will be served by this long-awaited and much-needed road access. Many of these lots were subdivided by government as far back as 2002, seven years ago. In those government led subdivisions, there was no indication at the time as to how land owners would have access to their properties. This road has been a long time coming, and is long overdue. Thankfully, through generous contributions, the Town Council can provide this infrastructure without resorting to their already limited resources.

There are many aspects of infrastructure that require, and deserve attention, but none more so than the fundamental legal right of access to one's property.

Please note the location of these subdivisions, particularly Grand Belizean Estates (as it is the topic of this thread), relative to the location of Laguna de Mato. Contrary to some allegations, there is no part of Grand Belizean Estates that is part of the lagoon. See for yourself.

Elbert and I are in agreement on one thing...if you are interested in buying property in Grand Belizean Estates, I too would recommend that you visit the site if at all possible. If you are unable to visit, then photos (aerial and ground) as well as video can be provided to you, including photos showing markers for specific lot numbers in many cases.

The map speaks louder than words.

Live the life less ordinary.
For most of the history of this island, boat access to properties has been the norm. It would seem that GBE has that access already if the lots are being shown and sold?

J
J
That is correct Diane, there is boat access to GBE by way of Ambergris Bay subdivision. From the dock it is a short walk through Ambergris Bay as shown in these two photos.

[Linked Image]

This is indeed how people are being brought to the property and able to walk through the subdivision to pick out their lots. It is approx. 1,700' (just over 400 yards) from the dock to the west (SW) entrance of the subdivision, via existing subdivision roads.

[Linked Image]

There is a big difference however between having access to the subdivision by boat for the purposes of viewing lots, and having access to your property for regular ingress/egress. For most of the history of this island, boat access to properties was the norm. However, as the population grows, not everyone will live on the Sea front and it is impractical for all property owners to take their own boat to and from town.

For one, there is a legitimate concern with the proliferation of docks constructed on the island, and it doesn't make sense that every property have its own private dock. Also, for those property owners who are not first row (on the water) where are they to build a dock and/or dock their boats? Boat access was the norm when most everyone lived on the water, but that is no longer the case.

If you are a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th row lot owner even in Tres Cocos, Buena Vista or Mata Grande, then where are you to dock your boat? It's impractical that we see hundreds and hundreds more docks constructed, and even then, where is everyone to dock their boat when they come to town? A single commercial lot in town could contain a 3-story parking garage for golf carts. We are probably not far off from seeing that become a reality. By comparison, how much space would be required for public boat dockage if everyone were to continue what has been the norm, with boat access being the primary access to properties?

As the island continues to develop and the population grows, the dynamics of the island will continue to change. It is no longer feasible that boat access continue to be the norm. Not when a smaller and smaller percentage of all properties are located on the water. Additionally, boats use far more fossil fuel than other modes of transportation such as gas golf carts. Boats certainly have their place, and they aren't going to go disappear, nor should they. (I love nothing more than getting out on a boat to enjoy the water.) They just aren't a practical means for all property owners to be able to have access to their properties.

I can't judge on the quality of the land because I have not been there but I think that the developer of Grand Belizean Estates made a lot of enemies here on the island by trying to build a road and destroying valuable Mangroves. Try to develop it with boat access, like all the developments North of San Pedro do would be my advice.

Live and let live
S
S
The San Pedro Town Council wants the road to serve the many subdivisions in that area....some 4,000 lots eventually.

Juangrande do you realize the photo your showing is people walking by the dredge operations exit pipe that has dredged up the surface they are walking on from the lagoon floor?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
J
J
Elbert, the photo that was posted, as well as the one included below, shows a group of people who have taken my advice (and yours) and are visiting Grand Belizean Estates to pick out their lots and to walk through the subdivision before purchasing their property. This is typical of most any other day, except that this was a Saturday when there were more people than normal because of being the weekend.

[Linked Image]

The dredge pipe/hose that you reference is not, and has not been, within a mile of the lagoon. Come on up to the site and see for yourself. I'll be happy to show you, and we can discuss your concerns together.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.