Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#363307 01/04/10 02:53 PM
E
OP Offline
E
I know all this information is here somewhere, but I have waited until the last minute, and now I realize I have some questions.
My husbands daughter and her daughter are coming down for six weeks and staying at his condo.
The child is seven years old.
I am writing up some info for her on travelling. So what happens at customs when she says she is staying for six weeks?
Does she have to show a return ticket, money? credit cards? She will have cheques on his Belize Bank account to spend while she is there and some travelling cash and a credit card.
She has never been there before, so I am trying to make it easier for her, especially travelling with a (tired and excited)child.
Thanks.

S
S
When I held a RT ticket that extended past 30 days, Delta would not allow me to travel until I purchased another ticket for an earlier return. I am not sure if other airlines require this or not. I simply changed the ticket when I needed to use it (no big deal - I don't think they charged me for the change). So, I suggest that you either:

1. (recommend) Change the ticket now to avoid complications for the child and then call and change the return date
or
2. (more risky) Reserve a new flight with a "24 hour" hold and print this off for the agents (I have heard of others doing this)

Just my opinion.....

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks, I have contacted the travel agent. She is flying Continental, but these days, you never know WHAT is going to happen.

Over the last 4 years we have purchase RT tickets that extended 60 & 90 days and have never ever been questioned by customs or for that matter no one else. We've been told that immigration could ask to see your return ticket when renewing your 30 day stay, but again never have been asked when renewing.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
M
M
This question has come up so often that, a few weeks ago, I went into the immigration office, and asked if there was any legal requirement that visitors have a return or onward ticket. I was told "no".

However, that doesn't mean she won't be asked. It's the decision of the immigration officer on duty at the time, and I'm sure a lot depends on the appearance of the visitor.

The issue with the airlines, as I understand it, is that the airline has to pay the cost to get you back to your departure point IF you are refused entry. Therefore, it's the airline (and/or the travel agent) that tries to ensure you have a return ticket.

In Belize, the initial 30-day stamp can be easily renewed at any immigration office.

I think a lot depends on their looking at your passport.......when they see you've visited there numerous times, they feel more comfortable about your having a way out!

R
R
You need to check direct with the airline. Immigration in Belize won't be bothered, but the airline may well stop you boarding the plane unless you can either prove you already have a visa (which you won't as they are for 30 days, easily renewable) or that you have a return ticket in less than 30 days. Stupid, but they have stopped some people boarding. Check direct with them, or purchase a fully refundable extra ticket.

hey evirdhgih long time no see here..

Can't help with the length of stay issues, etc but be sure to get the proper documentation for the child. Need written proof that mother has authorization/authority to travel out of the country with the child. Check with the airlines on this one.

Will you be there in Feb? Hope to see you, otherwise will drop by and say HI to daughter and granddaughter.

Hope all is well with you.

PS does hubby want any more adult children? smile Sounds like he treats them well.
Gail

Maybe I'm dumb, but if you are using the same airline with a RT ticket, why would they question you are refuse boarding unless you show proof of a return trip ticket. Again, I've booked trips with both Continental & American (not my favorite) that had returns dates well beyond 30 days and have never been questioned.

E
OP Offline
E
Hi Gailtor, no we aren't coming down, maybe next year. Her name is Gayle and her daughter is Sahara.
Thanks for the reminder about the permission to travel with the child.
I am amazed at how many people want to be adopted by my husband. He is quite grumpy. I can't figure it out.
a
To everyone else, thank you for the info. I have asked the travel agent to look into this, as it seems that it is an airline issue. Also a good point that it can depend on how you present yourself. I will tell her this.
a

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.