Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
[quote=SnoopysMom]As a fellow hypoglycemic, I find it handy to bring along my favorite snack type items (nuts, protein bars, jerky, etc - just no dairy or produce). This way you are sure to have what you need and will not get stuck...

I also highly recommend The Greenhouse as it has a great stock of veggies and grains and their prices are usually pretty comparable to anywhere else.

Are you saying that you bring those items into Belize because of non-availability? OR That you normally keep them with you day to day to keep your blood levels nice and smooth? OR I guess you may mean both! Diane Campbell mentioned the Greenhouse, too. It sounds like everything I want/need to keep my self in order is readily available there on the island. Many thanks! bob

S
S
I guess I am trying to say that you may not find the specific items you need / want / prefer (this is a small Island where most everything is brought in - mostly from the states anyway - and you get what is available at the time).

However, i may be also be presuming that you usually carry snacks with you and are a picky eater like me smile

N
N
At Wahoo's we offer a SKINNY WAHOO menu of drinks with NO SUGAR
Yes, they have the sugar of the alcohol but NO OTHER ADDED SUGAR!!!

SO you can enjoy a Margarita, Mojito, or Caipirinha with no added sugar
Just mint and rums and tequila and salts and every yummy!

Come on down and enjoy a fresh bevy with no guilt!

Noele McLain
Go Yoga, travelling to you and with you.
501 670 6008
About bread. The new bakery on front street makes fabulous bread that they call 'four corn bread.' It is not corn bread at all and when I asked the clerk about the name she said something about the seeds allover all sides. (Not corn here either)
Anyway - it is a multi grain dark bread that you can slice very thin for sandwiches or extra thick for great toast. BTW - you may want to bring a bread knife.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
About bread. The new bakery on front street makes fabulous bread that they call 'four corn bread.' It is not corn bread at all and when I asked the clerk about the name she said something about the seeds allover all sides. (Not corn here either)
Anyway - it is a multi grain dark bread that you can slice very thin for sandwiches or extra thick for great toast. BTW - you may want to bring a bread knife.

Sounds good. Even better if it is whole multi-grain. Gotta slow down that digestion, ya know. I get sprouted whole grain bread here and I love it. I may even take the time to learn how to make it at home! bob

Regarding "dark bread" or "multigrain" bread - PARTICULARLY the very dark looking bread - beware.... this bread is the same dough as the lighter bread but caramel food coloring is added to it to make it look dark. This caramel food color is made from burnt sugar which, from experience can play havoc with your blood sugar. As a diabetic or one looking out for sugars in food, please be aware of this.

B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by sunrisesky
Regarding "dark bread" or "multigrain" bread - PARTICULARLY the very dark looking bread - beware.... this bread is the same dough as the lighter bread but caramel food coloring is added to it to make it look dark. This caramel food color is made from burnt sugar which, from experience can play havoc with your blood sugar. As a diabetic or one looking out for sugars in food, please be aware of this.

Gracias.....I am skeptical about these matters, too. But, I think I can tell refined versus whole grain bread. Unless, of course, a little of the refined is mixed in. Too much and I think I could tell. At any rate everything I do dietarily these days is so far superior to what I was doing that a little refined flour would just be a blip on my dietary radar. Thanks for the warnings about what some people do to their products. I guess the FDA IS much better than nothing! bob s

Hon Offline
I'm always looking for healthier food choices too. Can you tell me what FDA stands for and why it's better for you?

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Hon
I'm always looking for healthier food choices too. Can you tell me what FDA stands for and why it's better for you?

Hi Hon,
I was trying to be humorous. Sunrisesky warned me about vendors adding in sugar and regular flour to their bread. In the states what is put into foodstuffs is regulated by the Food And Drug Admnistration (FDA) to inform the consumer. It must be stated on the label. Not so with a sidewalk food vendor/cook in another nation. bob s

Sunrisesky
From your profile I see you are here on the island. This doctoring of bread that you speak of - are referring to a practice here or generally? I've never heard of this before - but heck - there are lots of things I've never heard of.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,480
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.