Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
AND me too - I almost wasn't allowed on the plane last September (the return part of a round trip ticket) as my Belize Residency card had expired. I had to purchase what they called a "through" ticket which is supposedly refundable. I haven't gotten the refund yet!
I have been told it is the Belize government that requires that. When you get your passport stamped after thirty days you have to show a return ticket or $1,800. That same $1,800 went from hand to hand. LOL

Last edited by ScubaLdy; 04/17/11 03:48 PM.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
AND me too - I almost wasn't allowed on the plane last September (the return part of a round trip ticket) as my Belize Residency card had expired. I had to purchase what they called a "through" ticket which is supposedly refundable. I haven't gotten the refund yet!
I have been told it is the Belize government that requires that. When you get your passport stamped after thirty days you have to show a return ticket or $1,800. That same $1,800 went from hand to hand. LOL

YIKES! In this case I will be flying into Mexico. So I would have to satisfy Mexican regulations, I will have to check them! When crossing into Belize from Mexico how do they ensure you have financial means? Since presumebly you would leave by land too they have to have different rules than for flying. Is a visa really necessary for over 30 days or extensions were mentioned or can you leave and reenter the country to satisfy them as you can in Mexico? I guess the first time around 30 days would be enough to decide if I wanted to arrange for longer visits. I expect that I will but......? Thank all of you for opening my eyes to these issues. I figured I would show up at the Belizean border and be able to meet their regulations easily enough. After all tourism is an important industry to the economy, right? A one way ticket into Mexico may present less problems than Belize. I will now start searching out Mexicos rules and requirements. I have been to Mexico dozens of times by RV and by air and by train and by bus. All my air trips were round trip so it never came up. Cruises too, no problem. You can't show round trip driving in. Would a round trip bus ticket satisfy anybody? Not!

D
D
Sorry Bobbie. Was a bit "liquored up" when I posted.

As to trying to get the cheapest flight down to BZE....Flying to Cancun is definitely your best bet. AA UA/CO all have very competitive one way flights to Cancun.

Question is, how much is your time worth? I do not see a itinerary that will get you to AC by nightfall, via LAX, so factor overnight costs in.

Most of my trips to AC are Thursday thru Monday, so speed is my main objective.

Best of luck,

DC

S
S
It's international travel. The same thing happened to my friend when flying to Cancun on a 1-way. Luckily she had documentation for her return travel from a different country or she would not be allowed to fly.

I am guessing the airlines could be held responsible for you if you arrive somewhere and are "refused" by Immigration? I only raised this point so you could plan accordingly if considering a one way ticket.

No chickens yet LOL

B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
That makes sense to me. I have the time and the inclination to go roundabout. Especially considering the cost of one way airfares. I admire your committment to being where you long to be and making it happen within your time constraints. bob

G
G
You know there are round trips that are, I believe called refundable tickets. You get one with a 30 day turn around, then cancel the return, and it becomes like an open ticket. I have one right now to return to Belize.

you can do that with any ticket and save the higher "refundable" ticket fees. As long as you use the return within a year, you will only pay the change fee and possibly the fare difference from the original return flight.

Bobble, look into the TACA redeye LAX/BZE. Leave LAX around midnight, easy quick stop in San Salvador (with no plane change) and into BZE mid-morning. Toes in the sand, Belikin in hand before Noon.........

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
And I appreciate your advice, it opened my eyes to another kink in the international travel process. I wanted to avoid the round trip ticket thing to have the freedom of spontaneity while I visit there. But I can compromise that idea to the extent that I need to. While trying to avoid $700 one way fare to Belize( I was ignorant of the proof of exit rule) I inadvertently learned that traveling through Cancun saves quite a few airfare dollars one way or round trip.
I see how the entry/exit rules complicate the local long term rental market now. Long term renters have to be committed and able to navigate the processes as required by law. I have always rented at 30 day or less intervals while traveling in the past. Except in Mexico where the tourist cards allow for a longer stay. bob

B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by GwenA
You know there are round trips that are, I believe called refundable tickets. You get one with a 30 day turn around, then cancel the return, and it becomes like an open ticket. I have one right now to return to Belize.

GwenA,
Are they much more expensive? I usually fly the least expensive and in the past by the time I'd cancel and reschedule the new costs way exceeded the original round trip fare. Their cancellation fee, at least $100-$150, then their rescheduled flight not at 1/2 of the original fare but costing way way more than one half of the original ticket.

Hon Offline
So I have to say...if you can't afford to get to Belize (either one way or giving up the return ticket) you may want to rethink whether this trip is a good idea.

I sincerely hope that didn't come across as mean spirited. Sincerely.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,480
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.