Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
ADO Bus Lines of Mexico now has a regular bus that leaves Belize City at 8:00 P.M. from Novelos Terminal and arrives at PLaya Del Carmen around 5:30 a.m. and then onto Cancuns airport arriving around 6:30 a.m. I just took this route on Sept 10th and it worked out well. Although I have yet to take the return trip, I believe the return trip leaves Cancun (airport??)around 10:00 p.m. and arrives in Belize city around 6:00 A.M. . This New service now potentially avoids an over night room in Playa. ....Yippee...

How does one deal with the customs when crossing the border? Are there additional fees involved? When I took the ferry from San Pedro last year there were immigration fees to be paid at a bank prior to leaving Mexico (I was travelling back to Canada). It certainly sounds like this will be a good option for travellers. thx

T
T
How much is a ticket? How long it takes a custom and immigration deal?

M
M
Belize City to Cancun: BZ$55.00
Belize City to Merida: BZ$79.00
Cancun to BC: MX$474 (MX$440 from Playa; MX$382 from Tulum).

Crossing from Mexico to Belize
When you leave Mexico by bus, the bus will stop at a small immigration booth just before crossing the bridge to Belize. Passengers get off, without luggage, and present their passports with FMM (Mexican tourist card/form) and receipt to the immigration officer. Whenever I have crossed by bus, he has always asked (in Spanish) for MX$100 (that's pesos) or US$10. I have heard that since January 2010, he has been asking for US$20 from all bus passengers.

Beware! This is a scam. Your passport might get stamped, but there is no departure fee if the FMM fee has already been paid. If the FMM fee has not been paid, you will need to pay that fee (MX$262).

Passengers re-board the bus, proceed across the bridge over the Hondo River and stop at Belize Customs & Immigration. Passengers (with their luggage this time) go into the immigration building. For citizens of Canada, USA and many other countries, there are no visas or fees required when entering Belize. You will get a stamp in your passport allowing a stay of 30 days. Citizens of some countries require a visa which must be obtained before entering Belize. After completing immigration and customs, re-board the bus.

Crossing from Belize to Mexico
When you leave Belize by bus, the first stop will be at Belize Immigration. Passengers, without luggage, get off the bus, enter the building and present their passports to Belize Immigration. For visitors who have been in Belize for more than 24 hours, the fee is BZ$37.50 (US$18.75), payable in BZ$ or US$.

These sites explain departure fees for Belize:
http://www.bmabz.com/

Passengers re-board the bus, proceed across the bridge over the Hondo River and stop at Mexican Immigration where they get off the bus with their luggage.

Passengers go into the immigration building, get an FMM, complete it and then present the completed form with passport to an immigration officer. After your documents are returned, walk out of the immigration building, walk ahead and go through customs. Re-board the bus. The fee for the FMM (MX$262) must be paid at a bank before you leave Mexico (do not pay at the border). Visitors in transit can pay at Cancun airport.

The whole processs of going through both immigration points can take anywhere from 20 to 50 minutes depending on the number of passengers on the bus. When I have crossed on my own (and there are no long lines), the process takes about 15 minutes.

MisterB266
Thank you ever so much for the detailed process explanation. This is exactly the information I was looking for. Can't wait for my annual trip to BZ this winter. cool

What about residents of Belize?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
M
M
Citizens and permanent residents of Belize do not pay any fees when departing Belize at a land border or by water taxi.

OP Offline
Hello All - Turns out that on the return trip from Cancun to Belize City, that the bus only leaves from the downtown Cancun terminal. I caught the bus at the new bus terminal in Playa Del Carmen at 11:40 p.m. and arrived in Belize City at 6:00 a.m. So I believe the bus leaves Cancun at around 10:30 p.m. The cost from Playa was 440 pesos which at todays exchange was about U.S. $36.00

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 87 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.