Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
E
Geeze Amanda, not even you ? smile

I'm with you Amanda...it's tough raising kids today.

T
T
TAKE a chill pill folks.The situation is being dealt with fortunately and no one got hurt.
Class dismissed

we never had any kids. we figgured between my demon seed and her deviled eggs, it might not be the best idea.
and i can see you and raise,, i not only was out of school (quit, didn't graduate) and working full time at 15-16, but was also living on my own. nnyyaa.

edit: and yes,, way back then i was a stoner.

Hon Offline
Get the kid to write an essay on what s/he thinks the consequences of the action should be. This was something I asked my kids to do when they did something totally boneheaded and I was often surprised at the creatively fair solutions they came up with when my solution was to just bean them!

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
E
E
It wasnt required of me to write/do community service/ stay after school. I just took my ass wupping and went fishing.

You know Ernie these days the ass wupping isn't always available. In today's society we don't always have father figures around and the momma is out working to pay the bills for her li' pickney.

Hon, I like the ideas of the essay and shall submit it to the disciplinary board for consideration.

I want to see our kids get an education and come out of school somewhat unscathed!

Marty, shame you didn't post the whole article - the newspaper came out today and goes more in depth into the situation and an overview of what our community is currently needing to contend with.

Our schools can't accommodate all of the kids that need an education right now. Our parents are expecting the schools to "raise" the kids. This is a community and the families and mentors within our community need to stand up and help out - the situation is a little dire.

Slowly the island is seeing more of our necessities being fulfilled - full time social worker, education officer, extended hours at the poly clinic, more police and fire fighters - but we have a long way to go and leave a lot to still be desired.

Thanks for all contributing to this thread, I know I can get intense, but with 3 kids in different stages of development parenting is truly a daunting task and it would be nice to pick up a few helpful hints along the way rather than the wise cracks that I can garner from TV.

S
S
Both my folks were teachers when I was growing up (my mom AT my high school) so I have a lot of respect for the challenges they face. Seems that in a situation like this (particularly if you embraced the above mentioned common sense and perspective) it would be fairly easy to take lemons and make lemonade so to speak... ESPECIALLY since the teacher/school was confronted with not simply one kid doing something he shouldn't, but a classroom of 19 dazed and confused pupils:

"It's become readily apparent that most all of you are, well... fully baked, much like the brownies you all shared. So put down your books, we're going to go on a field trip. First stop, the park by the library, so we can meet some shining examples of what will happen to you eventually if you should decide to do this EVERY day. Then, we'll stop at central park where you can all buy 1 or 2 or 20 burritos as I'm sure all of you will be quite hungry by then... last stop, Castillo's where we'll pick up 20 gallons of paint and the same amount of brushes. Then, every day for the next month, rather than going home after school, you will get to help beautify the school and neighborhood until it's time to go home for your dinner. You will NOT get a break at 4:20. All of your parents have already been notified."

Question: Where were this kids parent(s) when he was making these brownies? If I saw a teenage male making brownies I would immediately be suspicious. I have a nose like a rottweiller and would smell hash being cooked up in my house in a second.

He brought enough to feed 19 kids and gave it to them. That's
trafficking.

I think he should spend the weekend or weekends in jail or detention.

The police or social workers should do a thorough investigation of his living conditions at home.
Scared straight... it works.

Perhaps if there were more parents like Amanda who took an active interest in thier kids lives there would be less gangs and youths in distress.

Look anywhere on the island and you will see kids running around late into the night with no parental supervision.
Why? because most of them are at home either drunk, stoned or making more babies that they can't handle.

SF Jeff, good suggestion about the class trip to see the aimless bums and fried burnouts.

Dwight, I imagine the parent(s) was probably at work.

So many parents really do care about their kids, but don't always know how to handle them and they get overwhelmed.

I don't think jail would be a solution right now (here in Belize jail can be a highly dangerous place,) but detention would work.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.