Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#43615 08/31/01 11:03 AM
OP Offline
Knowing a little bit about seafood and reading about you guys eating cuda, I decided to post this.
Cuda contain ciguatera. This is a toxin produced by dinoflagellate (a single celled alga) found on coral reefs. These toxins accumulate up the food chain as small fish get eaten up by bigger fish. The toxin causes no harm to fish and is not even detectable in their flesh. When a human eats it though it starts out like simple food poisoning like nausea,vomiting, and diarrhea. Then the neurological part kicks in. These can lead to numbness of your hands and feet to a coma. I personally will never eat a cuda but for all you out there who do make sure it is under 5 pounds. The bigger the fish the worse the toxins. I am not using this board as a scare tactic, but I feel you should know about this.

There is only one cure for baldness. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine.
#43616 08/31/01 11:07 AM
Hey Zeke, learned a trick in Grand Cayman about Barracuda to tell whether or not it's safe to eat, don't laugh, but slice some up, refrigerate all except a piece and stick the leftover piece in the sun, if the ants eat it, all in all should be safe to eat, if ants don't eat the Barracuda, forget about it, throw it all out. I know it sounds silly and I'm no fish expert, but I thought I'd throw my two sense in. See you and the wife at BC on Thanksgiving - gobble, gobble!!!!

#43617 08/31/01 11:49 AM
OP Offline
Becky....You can eat the cuda that you are sharing with the ants. Think I will have the turkey without the ants thank-you. Ahhh, who am I bullshitting......I will be DRINKING Wild Turkey on Thanksgiving at BC's! Screw the ants because I know they'll f--king drown if they screw around with my bourbon.

There is only one cure for baldness. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine.
#43618 08/31/01 11:51 AM
OP Offline
Becky....if you throw in your "two sense" you are in deep shit. Throw the monetary "two cents" instead!LOL

#43619 08/31/01 12:00 PM
You crack me up Zeke, see you all in November. Never did get into Barracuda. I myself like to try wahoo and Dolphin (no not Flipper, I mean Mahi-Mahi). Are you guys doing any fishing down there in November or just drinking?

#43620 08/31/01 12:09 PM
C
C
I would not worry about ciguatera unless the local reefs are known to contain contaminated fish. The problem seems more reef specific than fish specific. You can get it from any large predator fish that feeds off of smaller reef fish (including the ever popular Grouper).

However, barracuda have caused the most documented cases. Probably because of their preference of hanging around a reef and eating the reef fish more so than other predators who visit the reefs.
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap36.html

#43621 08/31/01 12:17 PM
Boy I sure am not the sharpest pencil in the pencil case, two sense. Good catch Zeke. LMAO here again. I'm kinda slow in the mornin.

#43622 08/31/01 03:46 PM
Thanks for the tip...I had heard the same thing about 'cuda, but we were assured it was safe to eat...lo and behold, it was the best damn fish I ever ate! We caught 3, 2 were large (over 5lbs) and 1 was small (approx 2-3lbs)...we ate the small one...yummy!
I had heard that wahoo was an excellent eating fish and tried it at Fido's (it was the special)...I didn't like it at all. Yucko! Barracuda was WAAAAAAY better!
Anyway...I won't call it my 2 "sense" 'cause I drank so much Belikin and rum, I have no sense left at all!!!

#43623 08/31/01 04:40 PM
OP Offline
Pirate....You're a f--king buccaneer! I would not think a measly one-celled dinoflagellate could bother a scalawag like you.

#43624 09/01/01 01:27 AM
B
B
I have caught 2 great barracudas about
20 pounds each inside the reef trolling,
they were cut into steaks seasoned and barbacued on the grill and were
delicious.I am told that the cuda in belize
tastes totally different than those in the US.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,031
Members20,471
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.