Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Indeed Champion, particularly since birds are known to be the cause of plane mortality...and, as planes are known to be the cause of human mortality, it follows that birds are the cause of human mortality. So by installing a wind turbine you reduce human mortality. I think the grid may just balance afterall.

PS Good observation about the "corpora delicti" MayaHouse smile

D
D
Maya...with your PV and wind turbin set up, may I ask what your DC voltage is, pre- inverter?

My background is in Electrical Utility Substation Design and Maintenance. DC battery systems are a huge part of the electrical grid system.

Just curious.

DC

M
OP Offline
M
Hi Decompression - I don't have the PV and turbine system yet, and was on here exploring the feasability and looking for some expertise from those that have gone down this road before me.

D
D
I am sorry Maya. My mistake.Lost track of the poster names.

My question was of course for Chica Blanca.

My bad.

DC

M
OP Offline
M
No worries! :-)

Decompression and Maya House,
Let's see if I can answer some questions. The hubby is trying to get me to be able to rattle the spec's off of our system.
The house runs on 110v, normal fridge (LG French Door),dish washer,with gas stove, water heater and clothes dryer. We have 8 180w panels that charge 16 dry cell batteries for a 48 volt system. Plus a 400w wind turbine that doesn't charge as much as it keeps the batteries topped up at night (when the wind blows). We know the power consumption of everything in the house and use accordingly. Dishes and laundry are done around noon, peak power input. All LED lights. No A/C, we could have to double the system for a small split unit. I'm waiting and hoping they become more energy efficient in the next few years.
Currently with no wind or sun we are running our generator to charge the batteries for the day. That takes about 3 hours and a gallon of gas. We run it about 20 days a year.
I hope this helps.

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
Bear - I think you are mistaken - Birth is the cause of death.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Chica!! Excellent information!

M
OP Offline
M
(The hubby should be PROUD!!) :-)

D
D
Thank you Chica Blanca.
Very informative. The 48 vdc makes a lot of sense, but why dry cell batteries instead of wet cell? From my experience, wet cells last longer ( with maintenance of course). And dry cell batteries are prone to thermal runaway.

Are your batteries kept relatively cool? ( I know, it's Belize)

DC

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.