Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46029 12/11/01 02:59 AM
A
OP Offline
A
I'll be traveling with a very strict vegitarian to AC over X-mas. He eats no animal products (no cheese, milk, eggs, fish,etc). Any places that cater to his diet? Or is he going to have to live on bread and water? ;-) Thanks

Good old Beans and Rice...the staple of the Belizean diet!

Lot's of fresh fruits and veggies too!

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the reply! How do they make those staple Belizian beans and rice? Do they use chicken broth, lard, etc?

Take care

Our first trip to Belize was spent with some vedic travellers from the Himalayas. They ate the beans & rice, salads and a lot of fruit. The plantains are wonderful and the potatoes have a great taste.

The beans and rice are made with water & coconut milk. YUMMY!

Bon Apetit,
Loie

- - -
"Everywhere I turn all the beauty just keeps shaking me." Amy Ray, World Falls
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
At mango's we just started a tofu menu so when you get tired of rice and beans head over for something different

Jade Garden Restaurant can most likely take care of your needs too.

G
G
If you are back yet I'd love to hear how it turned out, I'm not a vegan like your friend but *am* a vegetarian and am hoping we won't have to cook all our meals in our Banana Beach room kitchen!
On the plus side I do *love* those rice and beans, or gallo pinto as they called it in Costa Rica... especially mixed with eggs for breakfast!

Gaelen

A
OP Offline
A
Hey Gaelen

My significant other asked me to reply to your email-I am the vegan guy but am not alcmaeon. I have to say I was surprised at the number of places that I could get vegan food at. There was even soy milk for sale! I did eat a couple of dicey meals where the wait staff said the food was vegan but I suspected it not to be by its flavor or consistency. However if you are ok with dairy and eggs you will have no problems at almost any place on Ambergris. By far the best meal I had was at Sweet Basil were the staff was very open about what was in the food and even knew the "correct" questions to ask me (did I eat butter, mayo, etc). Also I did eat at Mangos where the tofu dishes were simple but tasty- they sliced silken tofu and added various sauces to the dishes--I liked the "Tropical Tofu".
Also I was able to go on a couple of the all day charter trips :Lamanai with Seaducded, a Manatee trip with SeaReious (Fantastic trip!) and the Blue Hole with Amigo Del Mar. On all three I got tons of Belezian Beans and Rice and was happy with that. Also the grocery stores had many US brand foods so I could get
cereal, peanut butter (Jiff Crunchy) and I ate a ton of fruits and vegies.
Overall San Pedro gets a good grade, the locals seemed knowledgeable about vegetarians (the Searious people even asked if any of us were vegetarians before I could bring it up). Also the locals didn't seem to think I was totally insane for not eating meat, dairy, eggs, etc which is an attitude I have found in Mexico--they look at me like I am just the most Loco Gringo ever.

Enjoy your trip!

G
G
Thanks very much for your input!

Gaelen

S
S
El Patio (not too far from the Banana) has a vegi sandwich, for yet another option. So many good places to eat.

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 141 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.