Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
P
Are there bank / government controls on moving my US $ out of Belize from a Belize US$ account (at Atlantic International Bank)? I know that there was paperwork when I wired US$ into this account.

Is there also a charge (%) for the exchange of BZD to USD with an exchange control permit?

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
It isn't easy to convert your money back into US. You need an exchange control permit and need to have a valid reason why you want the funds converted. Belize has a limited amount of US currency on hand which is used for the purposes of purchasing goods that are then imported into the country, or to pay off foreign debt etc. So to get a permit citing that you wanted to take advantage of the high interest bearing accounts in Belize dollars and now want to rake in your profits and repatriate your funds overseas might not be a valid reason to get an exchange control permit approved.

Ok, Lets say I won 7K BZE at thr Princess and am flying back to the states and now I want it changed into US Dollars. I have my return ticket and am standing at the booth inside wanting to exchange it. Are they going to or not?

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
P
P
No problem. Princess deals in US$ for exactly this reason so you won US$3.5k

P
P
For all intents and purposes you can't change Bz$ for US$ unless you know someone somewhere or have a bloody good, one of type reason and then I'm sure there are a ton of hoops and paperwork.

Phil, it's not too hard to find someone to exchange BZ to US.....you'll take about a 10% "haircut" but it's not hard to do at all.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
P
P
My above last comment omitted the word "Officially" - sorry.

Correction, I believe I only suffered a 3 to 5% haircut when I exchanged BZ to US.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
E
E
PM me

Well, folks I have actually exchanged quite a large amount of BZ for US and didn't have a big hassle. I let the bank handle it for me and it took a while and the exchange rate was not 2 - 1 but more like 2.025 - 1. This amount was the proceeds I had invested in CD in Belize and I think Amanda is probably right about the permit process etc., but I just don't remember the exact details.

Captain One Iron
P
P
Well folks. What a surprise. Another been there done that.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 161 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.