Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
Might I suggest a nice flashlight for defenseless woman like myself (other than my "cat like" scratching abilities)? flashlight

O
O
I appreciate Short's time taken for expressing his opinion. I must add my own as I feel that it represents another viewpoint. I would edit Short's addition to the following: "Good Guys 1, Bad Guys 0. Tourism 1, Chaos 0". (Although I would not have chosen tourism:chaos to begin with)

As a person who accepts the responsibility of defending myself, I am glad to see that carrying a (licensed) firearm is allowed in the area that I will be vacationing in.

Some crime originates from poverty and desperation, but certainly not all. There has been and always will be people that do not possess general decency towards their fellow man. It is in those instances that a person must accept their responsibility to protect themselves or simply hand their fate over to the other person.

I would much rather be a tourist traveling to an area that allows lawful use of firearms for self defense than traveling to an area where only the criminals are carrying firearms.

While it is fine that the "bad guy gets shot by a good guy with a gun", somehow I think the residents and visitors to San Pedro look past gun laws for a better solution to a growing crime problem on the island and in Belize in general.

When I first came to Belize 13 years ago, the island was a sleepy little place. No ATM's, dirt streets and it seemed everyone knew everyone. Over the years the island has faced the same problems many other areas of the world have encountered.

When the construction boom started a while back, it seemed like workers were coming to the island from all over Central America. The schools started looking really crowded and the streets seemed full of kids in the evenings. I noticed gang graffiti on buildings. Los Angeles gang graffiti of all places. Then when the big economic downturn happened, the island was left with unfinished projects and lots of migrant workers.

So now with schools over populated, no real organized youth sports programs, no real jobs for teens and a severe lack of jobs training programs, especially for the tourism trades such as the hotel and restaurant industry, what is the outcome?

When we last visited in June, the Five a Side arena was in shambles and the soccer field looked like a war zone.

Stopping crime is not just the job of the police, it takes an entire village.

There are some mighty fine residents in San Pedro that work VERY hard at improving the island. I think it's time for the GOB, the Town Council and the BTB, along with local business leaders to establish some high yield return programs for the island youth of all ages for sports, education and job training opportunities. They are the future of San Pedro, invest in them now. IMHO

"There are some mighty fine residents in San Pedro that work VERY hard at improving the island. I think it's time for the GOB, the Town Council and the BTB, along with local business leaders to establish some high yield return programs for the island youth of all ages for sports, education and job training opportunities. They are the future of San Pedro, invest in them now. IMHO"

Could not agree more, the youth on this island have very little to keep them busy constructively, I along with others have been trying to get a vocational school here for all the kids who cannot attend regular schools for one reason or another, also a youth center where the kids could go and feel safe and have a place to call their own. The young are all our future we must invest in them now.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
I was always amazed that the island din't have a big pier with swim lanes and a couple of diving boards and slides for water sports. Free warm water to host swim meets in year around.

M
M
Agreed, Tracker! (and reaper!)

E
E
Dang, Reaper FINALLY said something that makes sense grin !

P
P
Whatever the circumstances someone getting shot and killed isn't good. A good family is grieving for a lost son brother and I doubt killing someone, however justified, sits easily for most.

M
M
I say one less dirt bag around. If you feel so bad Phil, why don't you pay to put his sorry butt in the ground and help this good family out. He is a product of his up bringing.

At least the guy who shot him did us all a favor, I know I wouldn't want to be shot at. Hell just got a little fuller but I'm sure there is more room for more.

R
R
God made men, but Sam Colt made them equal. Col. Samuel Colt's revolver continues to serve as an equalizer. Being bigger, tougher and meaner than the next guy isn't worth much if the next guy carries a gun, even if there is three of you.

Bad attitude and big muscles make a poor match for a lead slug.

The reason is simple: Firearms reduce the power difference between the weak and the strong. They make it harder for the strong to prey upon the weak. Being strong doesn't help much when you're dead.

That's all I have to say about that.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.