Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
methinks you may be mis-reading agavegirl's comments (given the poor sentence construction.

I believe her to be saying that her town, approximately the size of SP, has a murder rate of one every 8-12 years, not that SP has that rate.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Ah yes, thank you klcman. Sorry agavegirl.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Rafael Juarez still on the run for murder of Jeffrey Eiley

It's been a week since the ruthless murder of thirty year old Jeffrey Eiley on San Pedro. Eiley, a well-known tour guide, ran from his killer but could not escape the multiple shots that hit him on both hands. Eiley collapsed on Barrier Reef Drive�a short distance from his home on Marina Drive in San Pedro. Reports are that Eiley was involved in an altercation with Rafael Juarez just minutes before the shooting. Since then, police have been searching for Juarez, who is known to have relatives living in Honduras, but he still remains at large. While it is believed that he has left the island, Corporal Luis Rodriguez told News Five today via phone that they believe that Juarez is still in country.

Via Phone: Cpl. Luis Rodriguez, NCO, NCIB, San Pedro Police
"Our investigation is still ongoing and so far we have questioned several persons and recorded several statements. But so far, we have been unable to locate the person of interest, the main person of interest, who is Mister Rafael Juarez."

Duane Moody

"Is it believed sir that he has absconded from the island?"

Via Phone: Cpl. Luis Rodriguez

"We believe that he is still in the country�not on the island, but still in the country."

Duane Moody

"We know of course that he is originally from Honduras, is it possible that he is fleeing there and out of the country?"

Via Phone: Cpl. Luis Rodriguez

"The possibility is that yes he has fled to Honduras, but as I said, we believe that he is still in the country."

Since his untimely death, family and friends of Eiley have come together to express their concerns about heightened criminal activity on the island. On Thursday at five-thirty p.m., a FOOTPRINTS FOR PEACE walk starting at the Central Park in San Pedro will see residents join hands in an effort to lift the fear and terror on the island.�

Channel 5

Ah yes I did read agavegirls post incorrect. sorry.

G
G
In the fall we decided that based on a few recent shootings and firearms discharges we would not be taking our granddaughters to SP (long a dream of my wife's...)But we did say we would still go. After 12 trips down (a few of them for 30 days) I am starting to second guess myself as I watch the recent spate of armed issues...

I was encouraged by the Rally yesterday though!

San Pedro has a way of taking care of problems and I think we'll get this one done too ---- if we have the will of the people and the support of the authorities (which we seem to have).

I write here to plead with the parents who gave their kids "toy" guns for Christmas to take them back and break them in little pieces as a message --- the young men now engaged in violence learned it somewhere. We need to teach the little boys something different and to reinforce the message throughout their formative years.
The message of violence starts with play - as does the message of peace and productivity.

What the hell are you talking about breaking boys toys, JUST STOP SELLING THEM. If you came into my house and broke my children toys not only would you upset my children but you would really upset me.

Our family have played with TOY GUNS for 50 years, when we could not afford toys guns we used sticks and pretended they where guns.

It is later on in life people should learn about GUNS and what DAMAGE they can do WHEN an IDIOT pulls a TRIGGER.

"IMHO"

This problem has much more to do with drugs and gangs than toy guns.
This island needs to address what is becoming a very serious situation.
If all you can come up with is breaking kids toy guns, you have no real solution.
Many of us who grew up playing cowboys and Indians along with other games using our toy guns do not go around shooting people.
If you think not letting kids play with toy guns because it teaches violence, then you better break their TV sets also. It is not what they play with or watch, it is how they are taught to act and what is right and what is wrong.
It does not matter if you are talking about firearms, driving a vehicle, being responsible with alcohol or any of the many other things young people need to learn to be responsible with, rather than just preventing them access to what can be misused a better approach is teaching them to be responsible with what they most likely will encounter in their lives.

Last edited by bywarren; 03/15/14 09:18 AM.
K
K
And yet, another shooting last night.
This is really getting out of hand.

With all due respect, Inplub and Warren - the three of us grew up in a different age and culture. I was Annie Oakley with a cowgirl outfit and a revolver, but I don't think I was at risk of being shot by another kid or police as a result of that outfit or toy. Today things are sadly very different.

Agree that teaching responsibility is essential and yes, I'd re-think the violence we have on tv.

Absolutely agree that we have a problem with drugs. Unfortunately with the gansta-rap-crap I'm not sure kids understand boundaries for anything much any more.

This is my last post on the subject. I fear I have hijacked the thread and re-introduced a debate on firearms that only divides us. My bad. Sorry.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 68 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,480
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.