Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Eric T Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all...Does anyone have any info on any plans to build roads or provide services to the west side of AC, specifically within 2 miles (north or south) of Secret Beach?

I've heard that they are planning roads there by the end of 2017, but only from one source - and even that source wasn't optimistic about the timeline.

Regards,

-Eric
Eric, You can hear anything on this island. I doubt very seriously if any city services are coming this decade.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
We have not been to that area by road since 2014....However, there use to be a large sign about 8'X10' that stated something like; if purchasing property in this area you should be aware there are no utility services or town services planned for this development....Now a great deal has happened in that area since then and we have been back a few times by boat, it appears occupied in some areas......However the people we have talked to are living off the grid. There are lots of options for living off the grid in Belize, in fact there are several island resorts & communities doing well..... Hope this helps....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
I heard a good rumor that the developer/sales people bought some utility poles and had them stacked beside the road so they could point to them and claim the work was in progress. Belize has always had a deserved reputation for outlandish scams and cons. Visitors fall for scoundrels schemes and claims because nothing so preposterous would be attempted in their country.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
J
JEL Offline
J
This is all true with what Elbert said. I have heard since 2011 that they were putting in the power lines and that is how they sold the lots in GBE. To run power to my lot at secret beach would have costed $200,000 USD.

Last edited by JEL; 01/02/17 05:09 AM.
L
L
This is true. The developer put up some poles on the property so they could say power is coming soon. I talked to the Power Company and they told me that ain't so. That was four years ago. However power will come. The problem is the Electric Company wants the owners to pay up front. I am not sure how many lots are in GBE but if someone could get a list of owners and put together a Landowners association maybe they could pool there money together and pay for this cost. Expect about 2 to 3K per lot!

Eric T Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to those who have responded so far. I am considering buying a piece of beachfront property on the west side that is about 1.5 miles north of Secret Beach. The distance is estimated by the realtor. See red circle in the attached picture.

Based on the replies so far, I have a few questions:
1) Who (or what agency/office) on AC would be a reliable source to contact about plans for the area?
2) Can anyone provide info on builders and/or building on AC, specifically with regard to "off-grid" building?
3) How are the two restaurants on Secret Beach powering their operations? Solar? Generators?
4) What are the options for fresh water supply? Wells? Cisterns only? Other?

I have lots of other questions too, but I figure I'll try to consume this info in small chunks so as not to overwhelm myself. LOL!

If I bought the land, I wouldn't be looking to build for at least 5 years - more likely 7. I would love to get any and all input I can from those who live on the island as to whether or not I'm blowing smoke up my own ass by thinking this plan is actually feasible. I see a few homes and businesses on the west side, so I know it can be done. I just don't really have a handle on the full cost and/or level of effort required to make it happen.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help so far. I can also be reached directly at [email protected] if interested.

[Linked Image]

Regards,

-Eric
Here is advice that you would be advised to take into consideration: 1) in this climate everything deteriorates rapidly; 2) there are a lot of well meaning people that will promise you the world and then deliver less than nothing; 3) even if you have a legal agreement it will be virtually impossible to enforce and that is especially true if money is involved; 4) listen to the Jerry Jeff Walker song "Another gringo in Belize" there is a lot of truth in it. Good luck with your plans - trust no one and verify everything twice!

Last edited by CaptOneIron; 01/12/17 12:16 PM.

Captain One Iron
Hi Eric

Will try to give you some brief answers to your direct questions .... look for my responses below the questions, with my part beginning with *****'s

1) Who (or what agency/office) on AC would be a reliable source to contact about plans for the area?

***** I guess first you'd have to say "what plans" - not being sarcastic, but you need to be specific to know who to ask. For instance, about power/electricity you ask the electricity company, etc. At this time I have heard no talk of any development plans, nor roads, nor services to that area, and would not expect any government agency to have information for you. From the looks of the map, road-building would be a very difficult project requiring massive fill, so plan on boat-only access.

2) Can anyone provide info on builders and/or building on AC, specifically with regard to "off-grid" building?

***** Suggest you ask the people who have successfully built in the area already. Their builders would be familiar with conditions, and the customers could report on quality of product.

3) How are the two restaurants on Secret Beach powering their operations? Solar? Generators?

******* There are three actually - one is a small bar-food place attached to a B&B. This one uses solar for sure. Perhaps the owners of the other places can tell you?

4) What are the options for fresh water supply? Wells? Cisterns only? Other?

****** Seriously doubt there is any way to have a well close to shore. Rain catchment or de-sal plant (which needs electricity) are your likely options.

PS - "Another Gringo In Belize" was written by San Pedro's own Dennis Wolfe and recorded by Jerry Jeff. Yea Dennis!

Last edited by Diane Campbell; 01/13/17 04:32 AM. Reason: correcting name of songwriter!
"Another Gringo In Belize" plays daily on our overhead amp system as part of our Happy Hour music.....I listen to each and every word as if I have heard it for the first time. Each year it is a different person who earns the title..... Yes thank you Mr. Wolfe and JJW for a timeless work of art..... smile

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 131 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.