Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#56381 08/22/05 11:30 AM
"wainscot" = wood panelling. Should be an easy find on AC.

Dare To Deviate
#56382 08/22/05 11:53 AM
Thanks for the correction... I've always wondering how to correctly spell it, but have never seen it on a label or anything for reference! smile Now just to find a crib and toddler bed (or something similar).

#56383 08/22/05 12:32 PM
E
E
One of the very best seamstress on the island is Emma. She can be reached through the library. I don't know her last name, just try the library. She can do anything.

#56384 08/22/05 12:49 PM
Thanks for the seamstress info. I may need someone to help with curtains, bedding, or something else during our settling in stages. smile

#56385 08/23/05 05:54 PM
Kate has a shop around the corner from Nancy's Supermarket called "Sew What?" She specializes in making sails and cushions for boats so she knows how to handle large pieces. She made all the drapes and sheers for my condo and they are drop dead gorgeous. She also made the drapes for a couple of other places in my complex and the owners are very happy.
She is going to recover a French bench for me. Look her up when you get here.
cool

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#56386 08/23/05 06:07 PM
When I had my little apartment over Manelly's Ice Cream I furnished it from the Mennonite Shop on Middle Street. I was warned that it might be 'buggy.' I'm happy to say I have not had any problems. I like their futon better than the expensive ones I have seen in other shops. The biggest problem with all futons is that they sit too deep. I solved that by buying a piece of 4" thick foam at Castillos Hardware.
I cut it into three pieces and had two pieces for the back of the futon and a piece for the chaise lounge that I also bought from them. I have had a number of guests sleep on the futon and they have all reported that it was great - much better than those fold out sofas that cut you in the middle of your back. The wooden chaise lounge has been on the beach for two years and has held up very nicely.
The only problem I had was with a rocking chair that was put together without any nails and the glue gave out in the heat and humidity. I took it back and Heinrick was going to replace it for me. (He too drank a bit) After a few weeks he never came back to the island - so I'm out a rocking chair. That's life!
The queen sized bed, two side tables, dresser, corner cabinet and dish cupboards all were well made and looked really nice. I will use these in the apartment that I am building under my new house.
This furniture is made of pine - not the mahogany that Belize is famous for.
laugh

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#56387 08/23/05 08:47 PM
Does the Mennonite shop make mahogany furniture, in addition to the pine? If you don't mind, could you give a really rough estimate of what your furniture cost or what the prices might be like today? I don't know how recently you bought it or if you have been back to the Mennonite shop recently, but I would be curious about their prices in general. I have found prices for mahogany furniture from other Belizean shops online (Lea's, Medina's, etc), but I was not able to find anything about the Mennonite prices, as I assume they do not have a website. Thanks.

#56388 08/24/05 12:39 PM
W
W
Is there a fabric store on the island, or do you go to the city for that? I looked in the AC business directory for 'fabric' and didn't see anything, but maybe that's not the correct heading. I'm actually interested more for clothing fabric than upholstery.

#56389 08/24/05 08:57 PM
KC Offline
Divechick - I bought a "portable crib/playpen" at Johnna's shop on middle street. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name of the shop. I just know that Johnna Trejo owns it. (ask around) It's all kids stuff. She might also be able to get a regular crib. Warning - it wasn't cheap.

Whitewater - I've never found fabric on the island. Mikado in Belize City has a huge selection of nice fabric.

Hope this helps,
Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.