Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57563 - 10/01/02 06:10 AM water
haltz Offline
Is the water at Banana Beach as brilliant and blue/green as the Mayan Riviera. Pictures on the website don't look that good.

#57564 - 10/01/02 03:54 PM Re: water
o jackie Offline
I have never been to the Mayan Riviera, but the water at Bananas is blue/green. It is a very nice site, pictures do not do alot of thing justice.
Jackie

#57565 - 10/01/02 07:15 PM Re: water
Sandshaker Offline
Haltz,

It might be helpful to give better advice if we knew specifically what you were looking for.

Thanks

#57566 - 10/01/02 07:31 PM Re: water
Mauby Offline
Hi

I have been to AC once and the Yucatan Peninsula about 8 times. In my opinion, I find most of the Yucatan coast has more colorful water and wider, sandy beaches. There are reasons for this.It depends what you are looking for. We are going back to AC in November because of the great snorkeling something we did not find in the Yucatan with the exception of Cozumel and a couple of the lagoons. Just my opinion.... :rolleyes:

#57567 - 10/02/02 06:42 AM Re: water
seashell Offline
If you are looking for a Yucatan clone, you will probably be disappointed.

However, the sand is white and the water all shades of blue and tourquoise. The reef breaks off shore and the town is a special place. There are docks everywhere, boats zipping back and forth and people walking up and down the beach just like it is mainstreet. Still, it gets in your soul and try as you might, ya just can't shake the place.

Hello, my name is seashell, and I'm an ACoholic. smile

#57568 - 10/02/02 10:57 PM Re: water
munichchick Offline
Even so we like Belize a lot I have to say that Belize Beaches just don't compare to the Yucatan Coast Beaches! We have been to Belize twice and have been up and down the Yucatan Coast from Cancun to Xcalac 12 times over the last 9 years.
Our next trip to the Yucatan will be in May and we are hoping to be able to spend at least 4 nights in Belize next year as well. There are certain things we like better in Belize and others we just love along the Yucatan Coast. You just have to visit both!!! cool

#57569 - 10/02/02 11:07 PM Re: water
munichchick Offline
I wanted to add that the best snorkeling we have done (and we snorkled since I was a Kid) by far was in the Chinchorro Banks which is off the coast by Xcalac, Yucatan Coast and not far from the most northern tip of Ambergris Caye. But maybe if we go to Belize more often we will find comparable out at the Atolls. We did this 5 years ago and it was "very" pristine which is changing with the new cruise ship dock at Mahajual and many more people diving there now.

#57570 - 10/04/02 03:20 AM Re: water
haltz Offline
mauby, we were at Cozumel this April and I was totally dissapointed. The coral seemed to be dead through most of our stop's, could have been our guides? I have heard a lot about the snorkelling in Belize. Can anyone tell me if AC is the best place to snorkel without an hour boat ride to get there. We want to snorkel from our beach, is it possible at AC?

#57571 - 10/04/02 04:48 AM Re: water
sweetjane Offline
here is a pic i took of caribe island resort from the air. it is a bit south of there.

http://www.pbase.com/image/3896357

#57572 - 10/04/02 04:50 AM Re: water
sweetjane Offline
good snorkels are a short boat ride out. hol chan & shark/ray are great for first timers. mexico rocks is good too.

i understand a lot of coral got wiped out by last year's hurricanes. i saw the difference in june, but it was still very nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (wiley, 1 invisible), 52 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.