Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58499 10/29/02 07:27 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Can anyone help

I'm visting Ambergris with my wife arriving new years eve and staying for 13 days.

We are from the U.K. and I've chosen Ambergris for a holiday because I would like Marilyn to experience the wonders of the reef.

I have been to Australia twice and found the reef breathtaking in CAIRNS.

To visit the reef in OZ you have to take a boat our to the reef and they provide all the equipment for you to use. smile

What is the best thing to do in Ambergris ??

Some people back home in the UK have suggested it would be best to buy and try out a masks in the UK and take them with us.

I dont want to carry unneccesary luggage if the masks etc are readily available and cheap enough in Ambergris

We are staying at the Corona Del Mar

Also Marilyn does not really like water on her face only learning to swim 20 years ago should I encourage her to try some form of sn confused orkling before we leave for Ambergris

Thanks Steve

PS how do you add those lovely faces into your text ??

#58500 10/29/02 07:54 PM
just came back from a wonderful trip to ambergris caye....we stayed at lily's....they have a wonderful lobster omelette at the restaurant there...as for snorkeling, i would recommend bringing your own gear....some is available but may not fit you correctly. we took the catamaran "el gato" for an all day trip....went to hol chan marine reserve....stopped at caye caulker for about 2 hours, had lunch and just checked out the island, then went to shark ray alley....just beautiful...bring underwater cameras...we brought disposables, and the pictures came out great...see geraldo and justo on the pier (2 down to the left from lily's if you're facing the water)ray, the waiter, at lily's knows them and was able to set it up for us....also, did a night snorkel with tony and fernando from fido's....they were great....totally different at nite....my friend kathy is not really into the snorkeling...she did go on the catamaran, but didn't get in the water....she stayed on the boat, and had some fun with the rum punch, took pix, etc....don't force someone into the water that doesn't want to go....but, if she decides to give it a try, i promise, she won't regret it....

#58501 10/29/02 10:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
LILLY'S ALSO MEKS DI 2ND BEST "HUERVOS RANCHEROS" TOO

THE BEST ....JEJEJE MI NUH TEL

#58502 10/29/02 10:52 PM
we have gone many times with the masks they have on hand, over time, we decided to purchase our own. and we really like em. no sizing guesses. but the dive shops do a real good job of sizing you. but two masks don't take up much room.

#58503 10/30/02 09:42 AM
K
K
If you plan to do a lot of snorkeling, or possibly even learn to dive in the future you should buy a quality mask now to ensure proper fit. Otherwise you should try a variety of rental masks to see what you prefer.

Most, but not all, operators include snorkeling equipment in the cost of the activity.

E=MC2(+-3dB)

#58504 10/30/02 06:04 PM
i understand about Marilyn not wanting water in her face. NOTHING is worse or more frustrating than a leaky mask. If you don't want to bring equipment, at LEAST buy a proper fitting mask for her. If her mask leaks, it may be the last time you share the reef together. You can get everything else there, but cover that. All should be fine...
Debbie

#58505 11/02/02 05:39 PM
S
S
I recommend buying and taking your own mask too. Buy a snorkel while you're at it. To me, the idea of using a rental snorkel is gross.

Have a good time! smile

#58506 11/03/02 05:31 PM
N
N
We are also UK travellers to A.C. - first time in 2001.

Sounds like you just want to try out the snorkling, in which case the masks and snorkels you hire locally are just fine! - if you love it then buy a mask for the next time and the time after that etc.

My wife, Debbie went from being nervous about putting her head in the water in 2001 to passing her open water diver course (down to 36 feet) in 2002, again on A.C., smile when we returned this year!

Enjoy!!

Nick

#58507 11/03/02 07:10 PM
Have some fun for all of us waiting to vaction in April or May! By all means take a camera even if it is just one of those cheap underwater kodaks. Then post your photos where we can all take a little look-see to get us ready for our trips.
HAVE FUN!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.