Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62391 01/31/03 11:23 AM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
I have just secured a local suppier for fresh frozen conch. Now I need some recipes. Anybody have any on hand, or any links. Particularly for ceviche or fritters? I will eat the damn things raw if I have to. laugh

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#62392 02/03/03 02:34 PM
M
M
Where's your conch supplier and how can they be reached? I have a book on recipes if I can find it in the dense jungle I call an office

#62393 02/03/03 03:23 PM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I checked with my local meat market (Mpls area) who also handles the standard seafood. This in response to a remark made by my brother-in-law (who is in the wholesale herring biz) that all of the markets used the same wholesaler. I had the guy at the market give them a call, and they affirmed they did handle it, fresh frozen, in 5 pound blocks. He said he would buy a block if I would buy a couple of pounds. I told him I would let him know when I returned from Puerto Rico. I was in there yesterday to pick up a roast and spotted conch meat in vacuum packed freezer bags, still frozen, so I grabbed one (about a pound and a half, just the good meat, 10.99 a pound). I do have a recipe, and my wifes recollection of what the Hustler boat guy used to make some of the best ceviche I have ever tasted, so I am going to be experimenting this week.
My suggestion, check with your local meat market. If no go there, shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]) and I will get you hooked up.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#62394 02/05/03 10:35 AM
M
M
Best recipe I have for ceviche, obtained from a local, is:

soften the conch by hitting it repeatedly with an empty Belikin bottle or some such instrument; put it in a deep bowl

dice up carrots, tomatoes, onions and a little garlic and add it to the conch. Dice as much habanero pepper and add it to spice it up to taste

squeeze a bunch of limes and put the juice in the bowl; you'll need lots of juice, because that's what cures/"cooks" the conch. I add a little beer to increase the volume of fluid

let it sit in a refrigerator for 24 hours, after which it's ready to eat

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 133 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.