Next Thread
Print Thread
#68394 05/14/03 11:45 PM
J
jsk Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi!!
I just got a offer from Medical University of Americas-Belize (San Pedro Town)as a faculty member. Can any one tell me about life at Amberglize? See I will be coming from India. How is life at AC? is it safe town? how is community? how costly is to live in AC? is it possible to get Indian Groceries nearby? what is the most favored thigs to do to pass the time?
I had lived in US (Michigan) for 7 years but I guess AC will be alltogether a different ball game, right?
Your kind comments will be higly appreciated.
Thanx

drjsk
JSK--
Research here and get some books.
If you are ready for island life then do it....
Lan has alot of help for ya!!!!
Rick

M
M
Doggie, chill on this one. Didn't you ever send out 100 resumes, only to be surprised when one picked you up. It's all about info and adventure here, let's not get cranky. That's why they are writing, to learn.

Jsk, I love Indian food (I'm Irish) but have not seen it in Belize, it might be there, but not to my knowledge. The closest is a Sri Lankan place in San Ignacio, but that is not going to help you finding the food you want to provision yourselves with. So, bring what you wish, and keep checking on this board. Someone else may be more knowledgeable. There are a lot of Lebanese folk in AC, so you can get some of the same items, but not all you will wish. There is a lady on Caye Caulker, Maralyn, at Rasta Pasta, neat lady, she has a bunch of spices she sells, called Genesis in the Jungle. It is excellent, in a pinch you could use that, but better bring your own. Other than that, you can get what you need, my guess is, you can probably find whatever you need in Belize City, but that is only a guess. Put something on that site to ask. AC is is very, very, VERY safe. You will feel fine there. Re lodgings, I've heard of them as low as $500US, might be lower if you check around, or a whole heck of lot higher if you like "top end". If I might make a suggestion, just move into a hotel at first, then look around, then decide. Re pastimes...walking and water sports are pretty much it, but very delightful, not to mention, waking up in the morning to just see the sun rise over the reef. Ahhh! I hope you will have a very wonderful time there. It's a wonderful place. The whole history of Belize is one culture after another adding their touch!Maybe you and your wife should open a restaurant as a side business, Yum! I'll be happy! Have fun

I believe that you will find that there is a small East Indian community there.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

M
M
We have a large Indian community in the country and a Hindu temple in Belize City, where you'll also find groceries and two Indian restaurants. There's a Sri Lankan restaurant in San Ignacio that quite good. I've spoken to a few of the docs at the new med school who are of Indian origin. Locate and contact them for more info. The community celebrates divali in Belize City every year. Many prominant Indians in Belize socio-economic life.

Maya Travel Services
There are a couple of restaurants that serve curry dishes that are to die for. One is an oriental restaurant down near Coconuts, and the other is Jambel's Jerk Pit. I love curry, and they both do a great job. Debbie

Hi JSK: As you can see, we have a diverse population here in San Pedro and the board. Armbush Caye is not for everyone. There IS a lot of literature. Lan Suder has a wonderful grasp on life here in Belize, and I recommend any of his books. The ONLY real way is to come visit us for yourself. Some of us have warts...just act like you don't notice. Take care: Bill

Gone fishing!!
J
jsk Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you all for responses.
See I just I had a idea of getting inputes from localites/frequent and recent visitors because sometmies their real life experiences differ a lot than whats on net!

drjsk
Jsk, I hope you continue to read this board, given enough time some good information will be posted.

I don't have a license to speak here, but will try to give some input. Ambergris does spell Paradise, if you do not have to earn a living on Ambergris.

Life on AC seems like paradise and can be, but do not be fooled, it is difficult/hard for long term living. If you are a good person, then everyone will be good to you.

Town safe, yes it is safe, but again use your good judgement to keep yourself safe, avoid the bad elements. Like too much alcohol and drugs.
Go lightly on gossip too.

Community, great community, good lovely happy smiling people, trying to make a better place everyday. Locals put up with alot of crap from tourists daily, but they keep smiling, to feed their families with the tourists bucks.

Costly, yes costly. Shop around for housing and food. Services will be costly.

Indian food, that has been covered above.

Pass Time........best pass time is under the water, enjoying the freedom of the Caribbean sea.
Pass time is not all about Belikins/beer, really.

Michigan....nothing like the Michigan I know, Belize is a whole different delightful laid back world.

Chloe is just a visitor, but pays close attention, to all.

Best of luck to you.

Dare To Deviate
Chloe is NOT "just a visitor" but a wise, good hearted soul with a veritable plethora of valid info, good will & charm to spread.

However, she MAY be humble wink

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.