Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76620 11/23/03 07:32 PM
lacole Offline OP
OP Offline
I was wondering if belizeans speak only english or some spanish as well. It would be nice to practice what i have learned.

#76621 11/23/03 07:41 PM
In my experience they speak both. Also, I noticed that most Belizians seemed to speak Spanish among themselves and English to the tourists.

#76622 11/23/03 07:55 PM
Most Belizeans in the tourist industry speak at least some Spanish but it depends on where you are in the country, for the most part, whether or not it may be predominant. In communities close to the Mexican and Guatemalan borders most folks are at least bilingual Spanish/English. On the Southern border, you'll encounter Mayan dialects as well. In AC, which could be classed more Mexican than Belizean, there is a lot of Spanish spoken and understood. And then there's Creole which I'd give my eyeteeth to be able to just roll off my tongue as easily as most Belizeans. I think it's wonderful fun to listen to a conversation and try to keep up with what's being said.

#76623 11/23/03 08:34 PM
As C. Kocian so accurately notes, it really depends on where you are in Belize. In some villages in northern and western Belize, Spanish is by far the dominant language, and often you will run across folks who speak no English at all, or hardly any. In Belize City and other Creole areas, it's almost all English and Creole (or Beliz Kriol as some write it). In places like San Pedro and Corozal which was originally settled by people from Mexico, most local people are fluent in both Spanish and English but often speak Spanish at home. In Maya areas it's Yucatec or Ketchi depending on where you are. In Garifuna towns/villages it's English, Creole and Garifuna. Some Mennonites speak a German dialect among themselves. Creole used to be the "lingua franca" among all groups in Belize including grigos who had lived in Belize a while, and still is to some extent, but with the emergence of Mestizos as the major ethnic group in Belize -- soon to be twice as numerous as Creoles -- Spanish is rapidly becoming the dominant language.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,035
Members20,474
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.