Dead, my point is we've never had to do that before. In the last few years, booking in advance for summer or winter high season was lower than doing so now. Yes, we also caught some great deals as well when we could be flexible (under $400 taxes in) but mostly we booked in advance and the prices were reasonable. Now they are ridiculous and those AA flights are one night stop-overs for us up north which we never had to do before.

For those of us with kids, we can't drop everything and pull them out of school for a last minute deal and we never had to before.

My question was for anyone who has been going down to Belize longer than we ahve, were we just lucky these last few years or if this is unusually high.

I use Expedia, I think all the sites cover the same airlines. We're looking for three weeks in the winter and would love to spend some money on the islands but frankly, it's just not a great deal and we're getting ready to book something. I'm not going to start waiting until the last minute to book the big once a year family holiday.