I think that's fine. Nerves can easily take over at times like that. If I were doing it I would appreciate being able to write it down, though I believe that's only permitted in the final round. When they were spelling, some kids were speaking so fast I couldn't take in what they were saying. Nerves again probably, but it made it vital for the judges to have the answer written down.

I'd never heard of this until I came to Belize, but it's a great idea and I'm in favour of it. Anything which introduces a bit of visible competition in "schoolwork" helps to encourage learning. I'd really like to hear the mathematics equivalent, which I believe is also run here, because I have no conception of how it runs. Maybe a general knowledge one would also be good, a bit like a "trivia" quiz but more focussed on material the kids have been exposed to.

Back on the spelling, how specifically were the kids prepared for the round before the final one? I believe these were words they had been told of beforehand, but I wonder just how that worked.