PROMINENT BASKETBALL STAR MURDERED IN BELIZE CITY

The Lopez family is standing strong in their faith, now more than ever to carry them through the loss of son and brother, Audrey Dwight Lopez who was shot and killed last night. His father, Belmopan Mayor Simeon Lopez, was in Belize City along with family members to find out what had happened. Police were called to Prince Street around 11:30 p.m. Lopez's sister, Sharlene Jones told us what police had gathered so far this morning.

Sharlene Jones; Sister

"They responded to a report of a gunshot in the Prince Street area and upon arrival they saw my brother's body on the street out there.  They also mentioned that they got calls that they saw a vehicle fleeing the scene; they got the description of the vehicles and officers were able to set chase and they caught up with the vehicle somewhere in Kraal Road and observed four people fleeing the scene.  There were only two police officers who were on the scene and they saw four people fleeing, one was still in the car so they managed to hold the one in the car and the other one pursued and was able to catch up with one of the others who were fleeing but unfortunately because there was only two of them, three people escaped.  They may answers to many questions that we have right now."

Dalila Ical, Reporter

Do you happen to know where your brother was shot and how many times?

Sharlene Jones

"From what I understand from the police it's a single gunshot wound behind the left ear."

Dalila Ical, Reporter

Could you tell us if you know if Aubrey was in any particular compromising situation with any bad influences, did he say anything?

Sharlene Jones

"Nothing, nothing which is why I am saying we have many more questions than answers."

Aubrey Lopez was a teacher at Edward P. York High School and was last seen there late last night, said School Principal Rodrick Cardenas, who received the news after two this morning.

Roderick Cardinez; Principal, E. P Yorke High School

"When I had left here after six he was here, the clerical staff would normally leave a little bit later, he was along with them.  Along with him there were about three, it's not something he normally does. I understand he left here I guess about minutes to ten thereabouts."

The vehicle police pursued was a light blue Nissan Altima car with license plate C-34741. It is believed Lopez was killed inside the car and later thrown out on Prince Street. Family members and even Lopez's colleagues at the high school do not remember him as a troublesome individual.

Rodrick Cardenas

"Never, and I have never seen anyone of any questionable character would come to look for him on the compound.  We have never had that situation as far as I am aware.  He is an athlete so he would also socialize with other athletes and other individuals out ther in the public."

And the news has not only settled heavily on his family, but also shocked his extended family at school.

Rodrick Cardenas

"This morning all of us were devastated by this loss because as I mentioned Mr. Lopez is a jovial person. At first the students were silent that was their way of dealing with it and then about an hour later they began to interact, they began to talk and after break, so it was after 0 hey were coping with it a little better."

Police are still on an intensive investigation into this latest murder and have recovered a point 38 revolver, Smith and Wesson Brand and detained two persons.

Sharlene Jones

"Thanks to the person who call and gave the tip about the car and the description that allowed the police to catch up with at least two suspects."

The atmosphere at the high school was somber this morning. Students in 1R had even refused to erase the black board on which Lopez had written his last lesson yesterday and wrote their goodbyes and messages for their beloved teacher.

Sharlene Jones

"God is the head of our household so we will lean on him during this time and he will get us through."

Simeon Lopez; Father

"Happy go lucky. He was only thirty years old."

Police are still looking for three more persons in connection to the incident. When we called Police Press Officer Fitzroy Yearwood this evening, he told us that, in the meantime, the department is not releasing any more details of their investigation so as not to jeopardize the outcome of the case.

LOVEFM