actually Ry that stat doesnt put me off. I wouldnt be so quick to shoot it down. It's not leading to "immediate" it's "premature" death. Which basically means if it can reasonably be shown that without exposure you would have lived a year longer, then you've experiencd a shortened life and as a result its a premature death. I'm just sayin that how the stat is derived.

You might be surpised as to the long term health impact of fine carbon respirable particulates from woodsmoke, PM2.5 is the stuff that gets down to the blood/gas interface in your lungs and plugs youir alveoli. Elevated measurements of fine particulate, those at unhealthy levels, have been shown to be responsible for reduced lung capacity in homes with open fireplaces and even airtight woodstoves; much less the effect of a smoke filled hut with a cook fire smoldering away at 10 times the ambient air quality standard.

Top that off with the fact that the material that comprises that smoke particulate is largely carbon based and you now have a "carcinogen sponge" that's grabbing every nasty, and I do mean nasty polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon like 8 benzo(a)pyrene, and you got a killer on your hands. These PAHs are carcinogens on the highest order. Here look it up for yourself, Benzo(a)pyrenes it's almost like literally injecting it into your system.

Of course if you smoke, and could care less then I'll make no judgements about personal choices, but basically thats what cooking fires amount to. Larger versions of these stoves have been promoted in portions of Central America as a means of reducing the use of rainforests as fuels and health based emissions that are definitely experienced by a much larger population in the world than many would think.