Conditions on the Western Highway were perilous this morning as there was an oil slick stretching for miles.

It happened between miles 31 and 38 just before the La Democracia Junction and the Jaguar Paw cut-off. The slick seems to have been caused by a leaking oil tanker that turned down the Coastal Highway at the La Democracia cutoff. The tanker was not found - but its trace endured for hours.

We spoke to one driver about the conditions:..

David Andrews, Tour Guide
"My back was turn to the truck that pass by but after then pass then I start to smell the oil. I look around and that's when I saw all the oil on the road and that's when I borrowed a bucket and wash off the oil off the road. I drive on the road a lot and whenever you meet oil especially after it rains you find that the road gets slippery due to the oil on the road."

"As I said it came from towards Jaguar Paw direction to the highway going to Belize City. Definitely it will hamper any activity back there."

Transport officers were posted on the highway to warn drivers to slow down and buckle up. They were no reports of any accident caused by the oil slick.

Channel 7