The Revised Gender Policy 2013 was released on May sixteenth. The policy was the product of the Women's Commission of Belize and considered progressive because it surpassed the Caribbean's response to several issues that are objectionable to church and the law. It is so controversial it has prompted two retractions or clarifications in one day. The document would have made Belize akin to the red-light district of Amsterdam where the oldest trade on the planet, prostitution, is legal. That's right, in March, Cabinet approved of the updated Gender Policy and today the lines that read, "Amend existing legislation to legalize and regulate the sex work industry." was removed from the document. The Women's Commission has pledged regret and says it was an oversight that caused the error. But there was another amendment made this afternoon, this time by Cabinet. Cabinet members apparently have been contacted by various churches regarding a section of the Gender Policy called "Respect for Diversity." The section makes reference to respect for sexual orientation, a term which has numerous categories. But it wasn't those words that caused the retraction; it was "the customary religious and cultural practices must be subject to the right of equality." Taken in the same statement about respect for sexual orientation, the language on religion and equality could have opened the doors for gay marriage. News Five tried to contact Ann Marie Williams, Executive Director of the Women's Commission for comment, but we were told she was on holiday. News Five did speak to her following the launch about the inclusion of people of various sexual identities at the launch of the policy, and she indicated the amendments to the gender policy were made in conjunction with the preamble to the constitution.

Adele Catzim

Adele Catzim, Presenter, Revised Gender Policy, 2013

"Things that we had to make sure for example was that sexual minorities issues is also represented in the national gender policy because gender policy because gender orientation is also a gender issue. It includes domestic violence that happens within the family environment; it also includes sexual harassment that happens within the workplace. And it includes rape that happens either at home or on the streets�but it also includes all the harassment and the discrimination against persons because of their gender orientation or sexual identity."

Jose Sanchez

"According to what you have here in respect for diversity, refers to sexual orientation. Is the women commission going against the grain and supports UNIBAM? I see Mr. Caleb Orozco is also here in full support you."

Ann-Marie Williams, Executive Director, Women's Commission

"I invited Caleb because Caleb works as a member of the N.G.O. community, but I'm not sure what you're asking me."

Jose Sanchez

"I am asking you if the Women's Commission supports the removal of that portion of the penal code regarding sodomy because you are referring to sexual orientation in relation to diversity."

Ann-Marie Williams

"Well, regarding the code I cannot speak for the Women's Commission. And we never had a statement out on that. But the policy speaks to the constitution. Part of the preamble of the policy speaks that in 1981, the constitution says that all citizens of Belize are part of this gender equality, mixed�"

Jose Sanchez

Ann-Marie Williams

"But it didn't refer to sexual orientation."

Ann-Marie Williams

"I'm telling you, they are part of the gender equality mix. And they should not be discriminated against regardless of race, color, creed, political affiliation, or sex. And it's part of the preamble of the policy and it's in the constitution."

Jose Sanchez

"So basically you are saying that the policy and the constitution supports UNIBAM; that's what you are saying."

Ann-Marie Williams

"I am not saying that. I am not saying that. And don't try to put me to saying that. The police is saying that all Belizeans have a right to non-discrimination regardless of race, sex, color or creed. And make sure you quote me correctly."

Channel 5