Maybe a Bit Late�San Pedro's Independence Jump-Up 2015 Parade is One of my Favorites, Part One

I was a little worried - about the weather�about the turnout�but there was NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT! San Pedro rocks. And though insanely HOT, it was so much fun. I took 357 photos, that I whittled down to about 110. I'm just going to show you a whole bunch. Bottom line: SO MUCH EXCITEMENT and SO MUCH ENERGY.

The line up for the parade was at 10am�all along this beach front�here are the pics:

More to come. I'm still re-hydrating. The people who participated, who decorated, who DJed and bedazzled late into the night - YOU ARE AMAZING. What a fantastic belated Jump-Up Parade.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS AND LOTS more AWESOME photos on San Pedro Scoop!

San Pedro Belize's 2015 JUMP UP Parade - THE ENERGY! Part Two
Along the beach on what was a beautiful, INCREDIBLY hot day. We had all hoped for sun�AND WE GOT IT. Here is the parade�and the audience on Sunday. Good grief�it was FANTASTIC! And everyone ended in the park for a huge performance by Gilharry 7. And THEN a powder color party. This bloggist is too�old. I was BEAT by the heat. And headed home for a little nap. San Pedro - you killed it. Despite the rain-out and postponement�this parade was absolutely one of my favorites of all time.

"The Street Parade" in San Pedro

We rather fortunately found a parking space in Angel Coral Street (back street) and took the short walk to Pescador Drive (middle street) and positioned ourselves close to Pirate's Pizza under what I think is the only tree in the street. The sun was beating down and the shade of the tree was a cool haven.

We'd probably been there around thirty minutes ( I can't be precise because I no longer wear a watch) when the barriers that had been in place to prevent 'normal' traffic from entering the street were removed. The cavalcade was on its way. And then it arrived, with as always, the San Pedro Fire Department heading the procession.

And then it 'hit' me. Why bother with words, let the pictures tell the story. So here they are.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more AWESOME photos on BELIZE- BUILDING A NEW LIFE blog!

San Pedro is at its best when there is a parade going on, Part 1

San Pedro finally pulled off its annual Independence Day Jump-Up Parade on Sunday. Some badly timed - but badly needed - rain pushed back the parade but all that pent up energy came out in a glorious explosion of music, color and bodily motion and marchers danced and preened their way from Boca del Rio to Central Park under a gloriously blue Belize sky.

It was hot, hot hot.

Parades just bring out the best in Ambergris Caye - the most adorable children, the most loving parents and families, the most beautiful dancers (male and female) and the most uninhabited enthusiasm of those who watch and cheer.

This parade forms along the sandy waterfront stretch of Boca del Rio before looping through town. As we did last year, the Tres Cocos Gang met up at Wayo's bar to watch the parade pull together like a long colorfully beaded necklace with the Caribbean blue backdrop.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more AWESOME photos on the Bound for Belize blog!

Weekend event crawl
There is no better way to start our annual Independence day parade than on a full stomach. My first choice, Sandbar and Ice n Beans were closed, so close by Melt Cafe was next in line. I usually order a Royal with Cheese there but this time I decided to go for something different and the fried egg is what clinched my decision. I have to say this is the best breakfast sandwich I have had at a sit down restaurant so far - they also do to go. I do wish they did not list meat as extra on the menu but it is possible they are catering to the vegetarians in that decision. Unless you are veg who would not want bacon as a regular option?. (My other favorite breakfast sandwich take out is the bacon and egg Johnny cake from Ruby's) We finished breakfast just in time to watch the paraders make their way through town. On the way to find a spot we stopped at a side street store and enjoyed a funny non camera moment as 2 paraders dashed away from their group for a beet stop. The crowd on Middle street made for our decision to head to front street to find a less populated space to catch the parade coming in.

Click photos for more pictures!

Winners of the Independence Jump-Up Parade are as follows:
Best Group Category:
1st Place - Mystic Mas Band
2nd Place - ABC Pre-School
3rd Place - Dj Debbie
Best Float Category
ABC Pre-School

San Pedro's post-parade is pretty in pink in the park - and blue, yellow, orange . . . Part 2
San Pedro's deputy mayor Gary Greif stepped into the cool shadows of the Holiday Hotel lobby shortly after the end of the Independence Day Jump-up Parade on Sunday. It was hot out there. And it had been a long and exhausting march for all. (See photos and read about the parade here.) But Gary was excited: "We're on our way to Central Park. There's going to be a big surprise there in about 10 minutes! Don't miss it." By the time we got the the park, it was already packed and every spare chunk of shade had already been staked out. But what the hell, the Gilharry 7, the finest show band in all of Belize had just started turning up the heat from the stage. Fans were squeezed into a five-foot deep swath of shadow in front of the stage. The swath deepened as the sun set but not fast enough to cover the masses drawn out by the driving pumping beats of the band. Suddenly the front of the stage erupted in gauzy clouds of pink, blue, green orange with hardly a breeze to bear them away. Little color packet "bombs" were sending a rainbow of corn starch and baking soda over the fans closest to the stage.

Better late than never: Island celebrates Independence Day Parade
After being postponed due to inclement weather, San Pedro's Independence Jump-up Parade took place on Sunday, September 25th with festive colors and music taking over the streets. Kicking off at 11:30AM from the Boca del Rio Park, the parade made its way from Laguna Drive unto Pescador Drive and ended at Central Park on Barrier Reef Drive. Residents lined up along the parade route to view and cheer on the passing floats and revelers in elaborate costumes. Leading the parade was the San Pedro Traffic Department with the San Pedro Fire Department following closely behind. Miss San Pedro Iris Salguero greeted the crowd from a beautifully decorated float representing San Pedro's marine life. Keeping the patriotic vibes on high was the San Pedro Dance Academy and Drum Corps, who entertain the spectators with their rhythmic beats and choreographed routines. Also present at the parade was the San Pedro Police Department proudly carrying an extra-large Belizean Flag.

San Pedro Celebrates Belize Independence Day Like No Other
An Independence Day Parade for the books as the Flying Pi�ata Makes a Comeback - The rain might have postponed the celebrations one week back and it was not the biggest parade ever, but the always-festive people of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize, put on a spectacular show of colors, music and dance during one of the island's biggest events. Last week's rain delay only helped fuel everybody's energy to maximum level and allowed more groups to join in on the fun, all eager to celebrate Belize's Independence. For the first time ever, the parade took more of a Caribbean Carnival theme as the Carnival group leader of Belize City, The Titans, were invited to lead the parade along with the San Pedro Town Council float and a new group emerged to bring even more spectacle to the parade with feathery Carnival costumes. The Mystic Mas Band organized a 75-plus group of beautiful ladies who performed in gorgeous costumes and choreographed dances throughout the length of the parade.

San Pedro Independence Day Jump Up Carnival

The biggest one-day blowout celebration on the island of Ambergris Caye definitely has to be the San Pedro Independence Day Jump Up Parade. The energy of the islanders anticipating the 'jump-up' as we call it in Belize, can be felt in the air as national pride is the driving force that fuels such passion to celebrate in grandeur.

Independence Day Parade with Island Charm in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
The biggest one-day blowout celebration on the island of Ambergris Caye definitely has to be the San Pedro Independence Day Jump Up Parade. The energy of the islanders anticipating the 'jump-up' as we call it in Belize, can be felt in the air as national pride is the driving force that fuels such passion to celebrate in grandeur. Elaborate floats are constructed; colorful costumes are sewn and assembled, while spirits come at a natural high - islanders are ready to celebrate like no other people can in Belize. The charm of Ambergris Caye includes its inviting and friendly people. You just have to say the word and you are invited to join a group in the parade; getting your costumes ready is part of the fun. If you are just a spectator on the side of the streets, it is easy to just jump right in and dance alongside the festive crowd and get your pictures taken to freeze frame the wonderful moments.

San Pedro Independence Day Jump Up Parade

As usual Island Films does a beautiful job of capturing the spirit of Belize!

The San Pedro Town Council would like to thank everyone for assisting all the events in celebration of Belize's Independence. We are really grateful for your cooperation and understanding when we decided to postpone the parade to a later date due to weather conditions.

We would like to applaud all those who participated in the parade; this was only possible because of you. Thanks to your beautiful and elaborate costumes and decorations, San Pedro had a great and successful Independence Parade.

Special thanks to Island Films for documenting the parade for us, Astrum Helicopters for helping us revive the Flying Pi�ata tradition, the San Pedro Music & Dance Academy for their high spirit and charm, and DJ Debbie for always making us have a great time!

Thank you San Pedro for making this event possible once again. We hope everyone enjoyed all the events - from the Miss San Pedro Pageant, Independence Eve and the Parade to the Color After Party with Gilharry 7 & DJ Debbie and the Flying Pi�ata. The San Pedro Town Council keeps on working hard in making these events possible for everyone to enjoy.

If you have any comments or suggestions on how we can improve our celebrations, please feel free to inbox us or email us at [email protected].

Long Live San Pedro! Long Live Belize!

�Video Courtesy of Island Films

Hip Hip Hurray, San Pedro continues to celebrate!
We all know that we can never celebrate our country too much. And here in San Pedro we prove that time and time again. So would we let a little bad weather completely stop us from celebrating our Independence Day? NO WAY! After giving La Isla Bonita's biggest parade a rain check last week, everyone came out in full force to celebrate on Sunday, September 27th. After all it is always better late than never! And let me tell you, islanders pulled out all their glitter and sequins for this one day. With soca music blaring from behind golf carts, pick-ups, trailers and even a couple of big trucks, revelers followed in tune, winding and grinding to the contagious beats. Of course, everyone was decked out in either patriotic outfits or colorful elaborate costumes. I'm telling you, the Independence Day vibes just cyant done!

Belize Independence Parade Drone Footage

Here's a little taste of our drone video from the Independence Parade in San Pedro!