First, you have to remember that antibiotics or antibacterial "wipes", soaps etc do not help with viruses. I myself am considering taking a mask with me on the plane since I'm flying out of Seattle, a major hub to Japan. I'm coughed on alot at work and often right in my face and so far have been lucky because I'm sure my immune system is pretty good, however I admit SARS has me a bit concerned. I'd rather look like a paranoid fool than to take a chance with my life. Although admittedly I'll probably just cover my head up with a blanket or jacket instead. ; )
On my trip to Belize in May I did get sick a day before I left. My throat was scratchy and my glands from my ears to my throat hurt and by the time I was on the plane I was feverish and coughing. I'm sure I freaked out the woman sitting in the seat closest to me although I tried hard not to cough. My throat and glands hurt for about 3 weeks and I had a bad case of laryngitis. I still think I picked up a slight ear infection from snorkling and between that and the pressure changes in the planes it just got a little worse. I never did go to a doctor and it finally cleared up on it's own. I never even considered blaming it on Belize, just one of those things that happens sometimes.
Here's a small thought not meant to scare anyone from drinking the water but San Pedro got ALOT of rain the end of December, first part of January...I know that in Jamaica when they get alot of rain like that it sometimes affects the water system..causing flu like symptoms and nausea in some people after drinking alot of tap water. ..could that have happend to the point that some people have developed the "flu" bug lately?