I've stayed at both Blancaneaux and Chaa Creek many times and have visited but not stayed at the Camino Real. It's almost unfair to compare the Guatemala hotel with the two lodges. The two Belize lodges are amazing. Truly exceptional places.

You're right -- neither has A/C, though this time of year you don't really need it, especially not a Blancaneaux where you likely will want long sleeves or a sweater at night, and the lodge usually has a fire going in the fireplace. The Camino Real is in my opinion just an international-style hotel albeit in a rather unusual location. (Francis Ford Coppola, BTW, is redoing a hotel in the Peten to add to his collection in Belize.)

As to Tikal versus Caracol, really no other site in the region compares to Tikal. To go to the area and not visit Tikal is like going to SE Asia and not visit Angor Wat. Caracol is wonderful, too, and historically was the peer of Tikal, but in terms of impact it is not the same as Tikal. What I do prefer about Caracol is the trip there -- a wonderful three-hour drive from San Ignacio through both Pine Ridge and broadleaf jungle.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com