Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
SS These strappings, are so very low tech and basically simple, to be added to the framing of walls and/or roofs. Just takes hammer and nails, anyone can apply them, of course before the drywall/sheetrock goes up.
Cost minimal, even if purchased. Hope the company donates a bunch, and they are used.
Would hate to see them in the dump, and not on the structures. One thing for sure, they can't hurt the structure.

Dare To Deviate
J
J
Hurricane straps or no....after this I am assuming the insurance companies are just about turning themselves into pretzels trying to figure out how to make insurance IMPOSSIBLE in the future. Two hits in two years makes no insurance company happy. I bought a waterfront home in Fla. after Andrew and just try and get flood, hurricane insurance! I not only had to use hurricane clips, but they had to be the ones that required eight nails each!....AND, each clip had to be inspected! I know that AC doesn't have those sort of building codes, but I will bet my granny's doughnuts that they get them into effect very quickly!

I'll take that bet...nobody had insurance, nobody uses codes, and few even know how to apply them, were they in effect! But, hope springs eternal...now, about those earthquakes...!

J
J
LOL Damaeyon....ok, bet taken. But I truly believe that the insurance companies are going to have some affect on what gets built and insured in the future. I don't care how laid-back a place is, at some time economics are going to enter the picture.

A
A
Either way, I hope everyone above and everyone else has emailed Simpson Strong Tie http://www.strongtie.com/fr_distributor.html
urging them to donate through the Red Cross or some 501C(3). Maybe they could be urged to target them at local builders who will know what to do with them.

R
R
We have sold the rafter ties for years along with other metal products such as post supports and joist hangers ect. Many small "contractors", as well as those that are more formal need to be exposed to these products. Only on that rare occasion do people ask for these items....and it is usually someone from the US that has lived in a "cane" area.
Rod

A
A
Seems like this is a good time to do some home owner education then. How could we go about doing it? Sandshaker, Marty, Rod, Ray Auxillou, anyone... who could most effectively be approached to get out 'the word'? And who should approach them?
Rod are you responding from Simpson's?

R
R
Just checked the price of the ties Bz $1.90 Our margin is quite high at this price due to the slow nature of there sale.
Even at this price a 20x30 average home with rafters on 4' center (average spacing for budget homes) would only incure Bz $30.40 for the rafter ties. People and contracters need to be educated and informed...especially in the Cayes and Coastal area.
Rod

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Rod,

Would your company be in a position to help defray the cost? Perhaps import these and sell them at cost plus freight/duty if a pure donation is not feasible.

Could someone from your company go to the town boards and instruct in the intallation so others may take advantage of this technology? Maybe have a meeting with some of the townpeople. How about showing the military that are helping out the techniques of installation?

Sorry to put this in your lap but it seems you are in the field and qualified as well as having the supplies and the source.

They also have a clip that joins plywood pieces to make them a more secure underlayment.

Please help.

Thanks

OK.....I see the usefulness and feasablility of these ties.
Now...I have another question.
The majority of the damage I've seen to houses here....at least the smaller ones....was from tin flying off. Is there a better way to attach the tin sheets so you don't loose them?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 170 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.