Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#103846 05/25/05 08:04 PM
M
Moon Offline OP
OP Offline
M
If you were down to your last few bucks and had the choice of going to AC or Costa Rica (and had been to neither before), which would you choose, and why?

I'm sure there are pros and cons for each, and both places are probably entirely different for holidays, but just wondered if anyone could shed any light! :rolleyes:

I think CR is more developed than AC and we're looking for a place that's not overly commercialized, so if anyone has been to both and can let me know where I should place my bet, I'd appreciate it! laugh

Thanks!

Moon

Cheers!
Moon
J
J
Hi Moon,

We've been to Costa Rica twice and leave for our fourth trip to Belize in the morning.

Both of our trips to Costa Rica involved a lot more moving around, a couple days in Arenal, a couple in Monteverde, several in Manual Antonio. Next trip a couple days in San Jose, a few on the Osa peninsula, then again to Manual Antonio. We've never been to the Guanacaste/Nicoya peninsula, we traveled there in the winter and apparently those areas are brown and dry at that time.

We've never really found a town in Costa Rica that we're comfortable in the way we are in San Pedro. Part of that is that we aren't fluent in Spanish.

Costa Rica is beautiful, awesome volcanoes. But no Mayan ruins. Depends on what you're looking for in your holiday.

I have been to both and I think I had a much more relaxing time in Ambergris Caye. Costa Rica is ALOT more comercialized than what I found in Belize(i mean, they have KFC,Pizza Hut and Payless Shoes in Costa Rica--how much more comercialized can you get?). If you don't speak atleast basic spanish , in some parts of Costa Rica you may have a problem communicating. If someone gave me $1000 and said "take a trip on me" I'd be finding the cheapest flight to AC as soon as possible. Can't wait until I can go back again.

I agree with both the above - they are diferent but there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no pLace like home

(of course I may beslightly prejudiced as I ended a l/t relationship in CR with the same woman I had my most wonderful adventure anywhere with in BZ - go figure!)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
AC was my choice, several times. Magic!

Costa Rica, one trip was enough. Interesting.

For all the above reasons already stated.

Dare To Deviate
Go to AC. I studied in Costa Rica for 5 weeks, it was beautiful. I have been to AC six times now and always want to go back! there are wonderful things in both places, but AC beats Costa Rica in my opinion. Can you list what you are looking for on your vacation so we can better assist you in where you might prefer?

C
C
Have been to Costa Rica each of the last two summers and enjoyed it both times, the country is great with lots to see and do. Never had a problem with the language. I would try Tammarindo in Costa Rica, In the Guanacaste Province. Tammarindo is a nice little town, great beach and good restaruants. Reminds me of early day Santa Cruz here in northern California. Big surfing area although waves are not big. Taking my first trip to AC in two weeks and really looking forward to my two weeks there.

D
D
My wife and I honeymooned in Tamarindo 3 years ago. Nice little town, no commercialization, very laid back locals. As far as speaking Spanish, there were quite a few american surfers that worked in the restuarants and bars that made it easier not being fluent in Spanish.

M
Moon Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for all the great responses - as far as I'm concerned, it's definitely AC and definitely Xanadu!!! Sounds stupid to say it, but I've not even been to AC yet and I already feel hooked, just doing the research etc., into our trip for December, so when Costa Rica was thrown out for discussion, I still really hoped all the responses would come back GO TO AC!! wink Costa Rica can be another trip, another time! So I will keep those places, Tamarindo, in mind for next time........ unless of course we make return trips to AC!!

Definitely looking for something RELAXING, and not dashing from one place to another. Would be great if we could take a day sail on a cat up or down the coast of AC, plan on doing the island tour by golf cart, maybe going parasailing (a first!) and a little snorkelling. In between times maybe bar hopping along the beach for drinks and grub!

Thanks everyone!! :p See some of you early December!

Cheers!
Moon
L
L
I have been to Costa rica twice, once sailfishing(which was fantastic), and the other a multisport which involved hiking, biking, whitewater rafting,and horseback riding. Like the other posts above we did a lot of moving around to our various activities. It was a great time. We've been to AC once just recently in April, and i am still trying to accept the fact that I'm not still there, which is why I haven't posted my newbie trip report yet. It is hard to explain how relaxed and happy we felt when we were in San Pedro. We are already making plans on going back at the end of this year or perhaps sooner. Do yourself a favor and take the AC plunge. You'll be hooked as we are...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.