Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#115607 01/18/06 11:42 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I will be going to Belize for my honeymoon in June. I am totally confused not only about what hotel to stay at but also what location. We have narrowed it down to two places. I made myself this list that I have compiled by reading different forums so please input or correct things that you think may help. We are Scuba certified but just beginners (1st time out of classtime). Although we are on a honeymoon, sitting around is not our main goal.

Ambergris Caye - Banyan Bay

smaller island so maybe breezier, maybe not as much rain since its North, less bugs, closer to town, lots of room (too much but same price as Robert's Grove junior suite), full kitchen, closer to dive sites, mainland things take longer (ruins, river, hiking), one big pool, one decent restaurant, other restaurants in town within walking distance

Placiena - Inn at Robert's Grove

Mainland, maybe more rain and bugs, not within walking distance to town, two restaurants on site, quieter, resort-like, luxury, multiple pools, gym, junior suite has small refrigerator, mainland trips close by, dive trips take 45min boat ride to reach??, maybe less stores/restaurants open being June??

Please feel free to comment on anything - the hotels or the locations in general. If my soon-to-be-wife wanted to lay on the beach which place would have more things that I could do while she did that. For example take a kayak somewhere and snorkel. How is the swimming/ snorkeling at each of these places? Thanks so much

Ryan

#115608 01/19/06 03:08 AM
Victoria House (Ambergris Caye) would be my choice for a honeymoon. Less chance there will be noisy children in the pool as Banyan Bay tends to attract families (all 2 bedroom units I believe). If that doesn't bother you, it is a nice property....but for a honeymoon I would stay at Victoria House.
Sorry, haven't stayed at the Inn at Robert's Grove. As beginner divers I think you would like the access to easier dives from Ambergris - also partial to the island as that is where I have my home. cool

#115609 01/19/06 04:04 AM
Victoria House would be my choice for a honeymoon too but based on the info you have provided, I think the units with kitchens are over your chosen budget. Did you consider Xanadu?

For ease of diving, I too believe you are better off on Ambergris.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#115610 01/19/06 08:45 AM
We stayed at victoria house last year and booked the rainforest suite( honeymoon suite). It sits 50 feet from the water and is by itself. Not attached to anything. Go to victoria house . com and see pics. A bit more $$ than banyon but like the others said less kids and noise. besides you can make all the noise you want and no one will hear you. Have a great honeymoon.

#115611 01/19/06 09:17 AM
Both places are nice and I have stayed at both. I personally would choose Banyan Bay over Robert's Grove. Just my opinion. But Banyan Bay is all 2 bedroom units so perhaps there are better choices on AC for a honeymoon. While RC is on the mainland technically, it is not really much closer for inland mainland trips as you have a 45 minute unpaved road on & off the peninsula each time. Maybe you shoud consider splitting the trip up and staying part on the mainland, truly inland, and then part on either beach. For laying on the beach, AC is better as she will get eaten alive with sand fleas in Placencia! Swimming/snorkeling great at either place (closer to the reef from AC but good snorkeling off Placencia as well). Way more choice of restaurants in AC if you are into that. Placencia is cheaper overall for diving, eating, etc. Just some thoughts on each place...

#115612 01/19/06 11:55 AM
J
J
It is a pretty far piece to the reef in Placencia. So snorkelling takes about a forty minute boat ride. As Barb said the sights to are a bit spread out so my choice is Ambergris/San Pedro where you can be snorkelling in 15 minutes and have a wide variety of shops and restaurants to choose from. Also the bugs are much less on the island. I would look into Banana Beach if you want a nice affordable 1 bedroom with kitchen, and pool. It isn't the Victoria House, but it won't bust the budget either and is very nice. John in denver

#115613 01/19/06 12:12 PM
Banana Beach is a great value and a fun place to stay, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a honeymoon. If you want to save a little money spend part of you time at Victoria House and 3 nights on the mainland in a jungle lodge. You can do your tours from the mainland, then relax on the water without the stress of those long day trips.

#115614 01/19/06 06:45 PM
We just spent our HM at Victoria House which was great......service was 5* -- BB looked a bit bigger + there was a guy selling time shares out front.......flagged us down each day we passed on our way to the Grocery Store.......We ate lunch and got massages at Roberts Grove and it was to the tilt the most top notch place in Placencia.

#115615 01/19/06 06:56 PM
BB, in this case meaning Banyan Bay, not Banana Beach one must assume.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.