Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

T
T
Barbara K...thanks so much! I shared that website with lots of folks on my e-mail list. I am a supporter of NRDC, and contributor. I hope they can make some headway on this issue. laugh frown :p

this email i received may be the same thing barb linked, i didnt look:

A little over a year after Belizean environmentalists, backed by NRDC, temporarily blocked construction of the proposed Chalillo dam in the Macal River valley, Fortis Inc., the Canadian corporation behind the dam, has contracted with a Chinese construction company and is preparing to begin building. And it seems that the company brokering the deal between Fortis and the Chinese builder is none other than AMEC, the engineering company that conducted the supposedly independent environmental assessment of the dam.

Fortis's latest push to start building followed a Belizean appeals court's refusal to overturn the government's approval of the dam. But Belizean environmentalists are appealing the decision further, arguing that AMEC's assessment was flawed and downplayed warnings by its own consultants about the dam's consequences for the region. Meanwhile NRDC and our partners are upping the pressure on Fortis in its Newfoundland home base, readying another legal challenge, and pressing AMEC to end its involvement in the construction of the dam. With the rainy season fast approaching, delays by AMEC or the contractor or imposed by the court would forestall the construction for several months.

Cameron Diaz Reaches Out to Protect the Macal River Valley
Spurred to action by a recent visit with NRDC to the threatened Macal River valley, actress Cameron Diaz wrote a letter urging the public to speak out before it's too late. "The rainforest home of the jaguar and the scarlet macaw stands on the brink of oblivion," says Diaz. "Its fate rests very briefly in our hands."

� HELP PREVENT CONSTRUCTION OF THE CHALILLO DAM by forwarding Cameron Diaz's letter and then sending a message to AMEC.

ps - this is why i dragged my 2 little kids to the macal valley last year. now, my 8 yr old gets it, but i cant explain to her why it is happening.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (OLDBAY), 205 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.