Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#168680 10/21/04 03:13 PM
S
S
Cooks Islands are great,was there in 2001. Fantastic diving,and diving is what you make of it.
People are very friendly and the $$$ is about a $1.40 to the USD which makes it very attractive. Great hotels and food. Moped is the main means of transpoetation. The one draw back for us was the beaches. The Island is surrounded by a reaf which is nice but to go for a quick swim, you can't except for snorkeling off the beach as it is full of coral, fantastic snorkeling 10 feet away from your room. There are nice sand beaches around the Island but very few, but when you get to one, it is amazing.
The island is 20 miles round with one circle road, 20 minute on moped and your done, with many restaurants and bars,so if you stop and have a hit or 2 it could take 5 hours like it did with my buddie and I , and when we got back to our resort, the ladies were alittle pissed, but they sure showed us at night, or at least they thought they did, we all had fun by nights end.

Cheers

JB

JB

#168681 10/21/04 03:31 PM
MALIBU Offline OP
OP Offline
spiker, What island is described above?

#168682 10/21/04 05:10 PM
S
S
Sorry "Rarotonga"

JB

#168683 10/22/04 02:07 AM
Spiker, where did you stay? I stayed at the Edgewater and then moved over to Muri Beach. Over at Muri it was quite beautiful and much better for swimming or snorkelling than on the other side. At the Edgewater, as you say the coral was right there almost at the shore. There were beaches most everywhere I went except near Avura. One day I went for a long walk down the ring road. A side road headed towards the beach caught my eye and so I walked in. There was wonderful jungle type flora all about and then suddenly, I came out onto the beach. It stretched as far as I could see either way until it arced around. The tide was in, the sun just so and sparkling off the water. Not a boat or a soul to be seen in either direction. Later I took my friends back with me to see that spot, but the tide was out. It wasn't quite as beautiful and there were two people down the way, mucking up the view.

Also did you go down to Fruits of Rarotonga beach to snorkel too? How about golf? Funniest golf course I've ever seen.

If anyone else goes and wants to golf, you can rent clubs but take your own balls. You can rent balls too but if you lose one they are $5 to replace. When I left I gave all my golfballs away to locals. They were happier than recieving money. Those Cook Islanders sure love their golf. Wonder what they'd think of the courses we are used to playing.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#168684 10/22/04 09:43 AM
S
S
Seashell, We stayed at the Rarotongan Sunset 2 doors down from the Edgewater, had a great location in front of the beach with another couple from Victoria, this is who we are going to AC in March with.
I agree Edgewater so so but Muri was a great loooking beach.
The golf course was a blast, had to watch for the odd 727 or so, to funny, good diving and snorkelling. Never did see the Flora jungle, sounds great though.
I would go back again and stay at the Muri.

Cheers

JB

#168685 10/22/04 03:08 PM
I would go back again too, if the trip wasn't so brutally long. When you go back, take an island tour up into the hills. We just arranged for one of our favorite taxi drivers to take us in in van. We also had great fun on the resorts' organized pub crawl.

As for the golf, I got a particular kick out of playing into the towers and avoiding the pigs on the course. Well, we didn't really avoid the pigs so much as take a bunch of pictures and laugh. (wg)

#168686 10/22/04 03:23 PM
MALIBU Offline OP
OP Offline
OMG!!! I've bee researching the S Pacific and there are sooooooooooo many islands!!! How do you pick where to go?

#168687 10/22/04 03:36 PM
Price. wink

Also, the Cook Islands are similar to Hawaii, 30 years ago.

#168688 10/22/04 03:44 PM
MALIBU Offline OP
OP Offline
The accomocations seemed to be basically the same price to me. Maybe I haven't done enough research? Is Fiji the most economical way to go? We aren't Ritz, well not usually, but we certainly aren't Mo's Travel Motel and roach barn. Additionally Seashell, if I may ask you another question about Fiji: Is it best to hop do different places/islands every few days? There are so many in the arch.... And, which island would you pick? ONE MORE: been to French Poly?

#168689 10/22/04 04:10 PM
Sorry Malibu, I can't speak to Fiji as I haven't been there, only to the Cook Islands. My Cook Island friends have been diving to Fiji.

I'm confused. You are finding acco prices to be the same on the Cook Islands as on Fiji/Tahiti etc?

Haven't been to French Poly either.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,034
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.