Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20
#182279 09/14/05 11:20 AM
S
S
Maybe we should clarify this, the road is not really a road and up until the introduction of gas carts about 2 years ago it was nothing more than a bike and footpath north of Journey's End.

There are many resorts up north that have been running successfully for years without access by road and that's one of their charms.

Unfortunately I think that more and more visitors are coming to the island having heard about the road up north who end up disappointed when they find out just how bad it really is. Water taxi will remain the preferred method of travel for many years to come and is one of the pleasures of visiting AC.

If you're booked up north and are worried about access to stores and restaurants don't forget about provisioning services (I know it's a blatant plug but it's low season.)

Can't help with the mosquitoes, they'll be here long after we're all gone.

#182280 09/14/05 11:34 AM
C
C
The beauty is also being a little adventure, but, you know Progress will come soon, as the resorts keep being built.
So, I am still pushing for bridge, and even if dirt, roads all the way north.
Also, maybe a association to form for all property oweners north of cut, to discuss this road problem, and chance to speak about grouth, and some controlled road development, and maintaince.
I am trying to get list of all property oweners at Haberneros, which is part of new Resort, Brightwaters Beach Resort, to do my part.
So if anyone knows where I can find list, maybe Gov agency, who process all deads, I would appreciate it.

#182281 09/14/05 12:07 PM
S
S
Steve, maybe you're not aware but many people have been FIGHTING the introduction of a proper road for years (along with the bridge).

#182282 09/14/05 12:56 PM
W
W
SimonB, does that play a part in why the bridge has not been built? Do those people have a strong voice in the decision?

I was born and raised in a sleepy beach community that grew in leaps and bounds, so I'm always curious how other people/areas handle such growth.

#182283 09/14/05 01:11 PM
S
S
Yes and no. Many residents were (and still are) opposed to the bridge for security and traffic reasons, and they do have their points. Town Council listened to the concerns of those residents and those of the entire community and decided to go with the option that benefited the community as a whole (building the bridge.) The main concern is traffic and the inability of the road structure to handle the increase in traffic. The bridge has been designed to restrict traffic to golf carts, bikes and pedestrians, there is an option to unblock the structure to allow full sized vehicles when the road can bear the traffic.

Progress happens here, just on a slower pace. The bridge is a prime example as it's been talked about for years and construction was to be started months ago. Even with a strong will things get done when they get done. It also doesn't help when the central government (either party) doesn't ackowledge how important San Pedro is to the country as a whole and invests very little back into the community in the way of infrastructure. The bridge is being privately financed as was much of the street paving.

I'm sure that there are plenty of differing opinions but that's my take on things.

#182284 09/14/05 02:01 PM
W
W
I imagine this is a particularly difficult issue on a small island shaped like AC, even with funding available. But, those are the sorts of problems that civil engineers love to solve. :-)

Thanks for the info.

#182285 09/15/05 10:39 PM
HERE IS A NOVEL IDEA.MAKE FUTURE REAL ESTATE SALES UP NORTH,CONTRIBUTE TO A ROAD FUND,AS FOR SECURITY RESTRICTING ACCESS OFF THE ROAD INTO RESIDENTIAL AREAS TO LAND OWNERS AND RESORT GUESTS.

#182286 09/16/05 01:23 AM
S
spl Offline
S
?? I am sure I just do not understand correct. But what I am understanding is you want future real estate PURCHASERS up north to contribute even more money to road funds??? I would prefer to keep paying to cross over the bridge once built than to pay manditory fees if I purchase more land up north!

#182287 09/16/05 08:34 AM
K
K
I haven't taken the "road" for a number of years. Even then, only as far as Capt. Morgan's. But from the sounds of things it's a goat trail. I agree w/Simon(I think) that an improved trail for bikes and carts is a good compromise. Why build a bridge to a goat trail? Oh yeah- Simon: save your launch ramps. If they build the bridge like the marina, it'll be an 80' bridge for a 90'span.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
#182288 09/16/05 08:41 AM
C
C
Or we could wait until someone like Tiger Woods, who I have heard as big rumor, just like Blackador Caye Rumor comes true, has bought property to build Golf Course, and he will finally put out money to develope roads , same as any other developer might also do.
This road will happen for sure, but restrict access some way, for security purpose.
Some day, and hope soon, as we will need food service ( grocery markets)for locals, and other needed service for resorts.
Paradise is nice, seculision for some, but controlled dev. is best for all concerned.

Page 5 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,479
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.