Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#208046 06/28/01 06:35 PM
Just to clarify on the electric cost -- it's basically the same all over Belize, 21 cents a KWH (unless you have your own power system, solar or diesel or whatever.)

Cheapest areas in Belize are any rural area in the north or west. Most expensive are Belize City and San Pedro, and any tourist area is going be more expensive. Real estate costs are a factor, but in areas like PG the cost of getting things there, at least until the Southern Highway paving is completed, is also a factor.

If you're looking for cheap, Belize has never been and never will be it. For cheap, try Nicaragua or parts of Honduras. Belize needs people with money to invest, or at least to live on, and skills to make things work.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#208047 06/28/01 09:35 PM
S
S
Reality check:
Every time we travel home from visiting Belize, there is at least one broke, tattered, hungry gringo flying home on a ticket paid for by Grandma or somebody....'cause he thought he could MAKE-MONEY-FAST in Belize...or "get a job" in Belize...or "live cheap" in Belize.
There are no "jobs" for foreigners in Belize. None. Zip. Zilch.
For every "job" that pays more than minimum wage, there are at least 5 well educated Belizeans who are qualified to have that job and most of them are living in the US because they can't make a living in Belize.
Why should the government give work permits to foreigners when their own citizens can't find work?
If you want to "retire" in Belize, great.
If you can make a living long distance via the net (and can afford the high rates for internet access to do it), that's great too.
Best of all: If you have CAPITAL to invest and start or buy business that will EMPLOY LOCAL PEOPLE, that's really fine!
You will be welcome under any of those circumstances.
If you have saved money and want to take a 6 month sabbatical in Belize, that's fine too.
But if you think you are going to find a "job" in Belize, forget it....Ain't gonna happen. Don't even think about it.
John Q. Gringo is NOT going to get a work permit or a job in Belize.
If you want a "job" you have to create your own with YOUR OWN MONEY...Emphasis on the OWN...

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#208048 06/29/01 07:04 AM
Well said Susan. The fact is, that this is the way it is in most Caribbean and Central American locations with very few exceptions.

I have lived in two different islands in the Caribbean and each time it was necessary to invest in a business or start a new one.

**Jim

**Jim
#208049 07/03/01 03:45 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Well then, I guess we won't be able to count on having ANY income whatsoever while we are living there. Our main goal in this trip is to give our children the chance to experience a different lifestyle than the one they are growing up in and to maybe have the chance to pick up some Spanish at their young ages. To slow down a little and get a different perspective that hopefully will stay with them throughout their lives. We have found that a "vacations" don't really cut it. I'm not expecting it to be easy, we are just trying to get as much information as possible about actually living there before we go.

Curly, where are you and your two kids going and how old are they (if you don't mind)?

Thanks again.

#208050 07/11/01 01:33 AM
If it's Spanish for the Kids, and good cheap living, (and maybe employment), I would recommend Guatemala. Say... The Rio Dulce Area. Keep in mind, minimum wage there is much lower.

PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"
#208051 07/13/01 01:41 PM
E
eso Offline
E
I understand you are seeking a nice place for your children. I recommend Benque Vejo
in Belize.

Just one Mile from Guatemalan boarder and I bet your children will learn spanish quickly.

Apart from that rentals are very cheap.
And shopping can be done in Guatemala.

Not only that in Benque (in the Cayo district)there is less competition for new businesses.

They just made an excellent resort there.
It has a beautiful river.
And ambergris caye is not far -many locals are from San pedro (born there)

Hasta La victoria Siempre!
#208052 08/01/01 01:23 PM
C
C
jonesfam, my kids are 14 and 12. part of my reason for going to belize is the same as yours. laid back life style and a cross cultural experience for the kids.

wb
#208053 08/06/01 01:25 AM
C
cwn Offline
C
Hello,
Can anyone help?

I will be going to Belize very soon. My Business depends on the Internet. What does Belize have offer for Internet service. I will need to move/hook-up my servers to a back bone and run them from Belize. The Internet is my source of income.

Regards,
Curtis
#208054 08/27/01 12:30 PM
M
myk Offline
M
i plan on moving to belize in about 1 month. i have never been there and don't have a clue so i was going to travel around the country when i got there to check things out. i have a small nest egg put away to try to start some kind of business. don't want to get rich just get by and enjoy life. i know a.c. is expensive. i would like to live where there is beach access, but not alot of tourists. could someone please suggest some locations and maybe some ideas on what kinds of businesses there may be a demand for?
any info would be appreciated.
thanx,
myk

#208055 08/27/01 05:14 PM
I think there was a list here on the board...or a link for some of that info...Topic-business

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 110 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.