Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Hi

I'm a translator and am considering spending a year or so in Belize, telecommuting. I would have no source income in Belize, and no employer in the country. What visa would be most appropriate? I'm too young for QR (40).

Thanks for the feedback

I'd recomnmend checking that at the Embassy, not on a message board......JMO.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what has been happening for the last 2 years. The first 6 months are no problem, going once a month to get your visa renewed in San Pedro at the immigation office. I'm assuming you are a U.S. citizen. Its after those first 6 months that immigration has you going round and round. The solution that several people I know are using is to exit the country for several weeks and to reenter, then it seems you start over again. If you stay past 6 months without exiting you will have to go to Belmopan 2x a month to drop your passport off and pick it up, plus there is another piece of paperwork you have to fill out and you will have to supply a set of photos of yourself for their files.
--Lee

M
M
I lived in S.P. for 8 monthe in "98, and at that time you needed to leave the country for 48 hours, after 6 months. I went to Chetumal for two days of shopping, had no trouble reentering Belize.

In June I am planning to move to S.P. and stay a year I think this method could still be used.

Any one know any differant?

Why is it a problem if you are not looking for a work permit in Belize and are only working and making money through the US? I am interested in a similar situation, living there 6 months and working through my computer on the internet back to my job in the US. Is this going to present a problem there?

Thank you.

There are many people "working out of the home" on computers. I am not an authority on this, but no one I know of has ever had a problem, but I recommend they keep a low profile.

Dolphin, thank you, you recommend they keep a low profile for BELIZE reasons or US reasons? I am not sure why this could be a problem for either, but would appreciate your advice. So if I live there 4 months I should not tell friends that I am working from my computer in US or Belize, cause it is totally okay with the company I work for. ???

ke, loose lips sink ships. Just do it.

Good advice Danny. Only that legally you are supposed to have a work permit to work here. But that is really meant to protect jobs for Belizeans. No one has had a problem yet doing work for the States, but don't create a problem by talking too much.

I don't want to do anything wrong or illegal, why would this 'sink ships'. Am I supposed to have a work permit even though I will not work for anyone in Belize?? I am surprised at all of this, as the people I know there are going to know I can't just survive without working somehow for 6 months. What does he mean by sink ships? Thank you so much.
KE

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 156 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.