Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
M

CanBrit,
You are becoming well known here in San Pedro! Are you not the individual parading through town with a signed life ring off the Ms Mel, the ONLY item left from that vessel? I understand, from your previous post that it's "what saved my wife's life" however, do you feel she is now intitled to it? I believe it should be hung in the shop of Amigos Del Mar as a reminder of the crews courageous effort and the GREAT memories she provides! Shame on you!!!

I went back and read some of CanBrits previous posts which have helped me to understand you better. As your name implies (and I sure missed it at first) you are a Brit who now lives in Canada. Thankfully I have a really good Canadian friend who tends to talk the way you write and I have learned to listen to him with a different ear. A lot of the Brits here tend to also have the same edge that you do. I'm thinking you may not hear that and not understand that those of us from the US tend to take offense when none is intended.
You do come off as a know-it-all and you may - but those of us who live here are not stupid and yes, many tried to neutralize your original post. Then you just kept digging the hole deeper with you responses.
Having said that I would like to see a post simply called BOATING ACCIDENT AT THE BLUE HOLE by someone who has the whole story. Inquiring minds need to know

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
Dive Boat with 19 Tourists on Board Erupts Into Flame

[Linked Image]

Tonight a boat worth more than half a million dollars is at the bottom of the sea and 19 tourists are lucky to be alive after a fire at sea. It occurred yesterday afternoon near Lighthouse Reef where the tourists were on a dive tour. The divers had just finished lunch when the boat experienced engine trouble. Tonight we have the full story, including pictures which will make you wonder how anyone made it off that boat alive.

Keith Swift Reporting,
These still photos capture the dramatic images of the boat being devoured by fire out in the middle of the open seas. The double decked boat - belonging to Amigos Del Mar - was carrying 19 tourists and 4 crew members on a dive expedition near Lighthouse Reef when its engine erupted into flames.

The pictures were taken by Nils Iinklan and his wife Pamela Maze who were on the boat along with 17 other tourists.

Kathy Mowvley, Passenger on Burning Boat
"The crew noticed a loss of power in one of the engines and then we heard a bang from the engine room, like a fan belt or a pistol going through the engine or something. Grey smoke started coming out and then black smoke."

Nadine Cote, Passenger on Burning Boat
"I just thought there was engine trouble, didn't think there was any fire down there. It can happen at anytime anywhere. We weren't too concerned until we started seeing thick black smoke."

Pamela Maze, Passenger on Burning Boat
"At first we thought it was just a minor puff of smoke, of fire. We didn't know there was actual fire until we saw the flames. It was very fast. Basically we were just trying to get as far away from the boat as we could and watching it in flames was quite an experience I have to say but we were more concerned about the safety of everybody around us."

Keith Swift,
Were you frightened?

Pamela Maze,
"Of course. You are always frightened in that kind of situation. We were more frightened on the boat when the fire started and it happened so quickly. We were just so lucky that the crew was very fast on helping us get on our BCDs and get in the water with out scuba gear."

David Cote, Passenger on Burning Boat
"We ended up going to the bow of the boat, because the smoke had filled the cabin, and then we started seeing flames coming out of the side of the boat and so the captain started giving everybody life jackets and everybody started jumping off the boat because the boat was engulfed in flames."

All 19 tourists onboard and 4 crew members safely evacuated the boat and watched from a distance the fire consumed it. The tourists were picked up by a crew from Aqua Dive Shop who had heard the explosion and responded to help.

Julio Perez, Aqua Dive
"They said they overheard an explosion on one of the boats that works out there and they decided to help the divers that were on the boat; rescued them and put them on a dock out there."

This afternoon - a day after their dance with death - these tourists literally toasted to life. They say it could have been much worse and they are happy they made it out alive.

Pamela Maze,
"The escape was very well organized. Really in that kind of situation, the crew was amazing, got us out safely and everyone around us helped us. It was an incredible situation and normally in a country far away from our home, that was a great experience and of course we would come back anytime."

Keith Swift,
Did this spoil your trip?

Kathy Mowvley,
"No it was wonderful. This is such a relaxing place to be and that is why we came here. It's a black spot but it's not a thing that would make us not come again at all."

David Cote,
"It added a bit of excitement I guess."

Nadine Cote,
"No more diving for us."

David Cote,
"We lost our cameras and a little bit of dive gear and stuff like that but everybody came out alive so that's the main thing."

Police are investigating. The boat is valued at $700,000 and was insured.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/archive/10260710.html

Thanks for posting this Simon

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
On the technicalities of the accident it is, frankly, weird. A diesel-powered boat that had been stationary with engines off for at least an hour that then suffered catastrophic engine failure within 10 minutes of recommencing operations, with either diesel or lubricating oil catching fire. Both substances need tremendous heat to burn and it's hard to imagine just what can have happened in such a short time to produce that sort of temperature, even if an engine mechanically self-destructed (as has been suggested).

#254490 10/27/07 10:07 AM
S
S
Diesel and/or lube oil spraying under pressure from a broken hose or fitting will light on fire easily when it hits a hot turbocharger or exhaust manifold. An automatic fire extinguisher system in the engine room can usually take care of this problem....if you have one.

#254493 10/27/07 10:13 AM
Fuel oil no.2 (home heating fuel, diesel fuel), Chemical formula is a carbon range of C9 - C23; flash point 126°F - 204°F (52 - 96°C); ignition temperature 494 F (257°C)"

As pedro Stated quite a high temp is required to ignite Diesel Fuel. Ordinary paper ignites before Diesel Fuel.

Never Use money to measure wealth
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
If the exhaust manifolds are like mine they run pretty cool - they have water channels built in. The turbo unit does get hot though. Divers on board reported a loud mechanical "bang" from the engine area - perhaps a lube pipe came off, both causing the engine to seize and spraying the turbo with lube oil? Just speculation, but who knows if we'll ever be told?

#254496 10/27/07 10:16 AM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Bill - what's the difference between Flash Point and Ignition Temperature?

As they reported loss of oil pressure, that would make sense. A hot manifold makes a perfect igniter. Takes high heat to get it going but once it is lit, diesel fuel contains parafin in suspension, which keeps the burn going. That is the nature of diesel, does not explode like gasoline, but has a long burn after the heat of compression sets it off. Dense black smoke would indicate the engine oil burning as well which would help fuel the diesel. I was a diesel bus mechanic for many years, saw it happen several times.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 147 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,035
Members20,474
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.