Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gringo

I still don't get your point, Scubaldy. The only reference I could see to "dark skin" or "racists" is in your post. Who are you accusing of this?

Last edited by bywarren; 12/20/07 11:59 AM.
Actually very interesting reading the different definitions for the word "Gringo":
In Central America it is mainly used for US citizens.
In Uruguay it is mainly used for English and Russian people.
In Brazil it refers to foreigners from any country.

In Belize I have seen black people being referred to as being gringo, where white people from foreign (non-US) origin didn't qualify for the gringo category.

The word Gringo comes from "green coat" and originated during Mexican-American War of 1846-48, in reference to the American soldiers and the green color of their uniforms. It must have been the Green people then. Guess this Blue guy was innocent this time: http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=5843725

Live and let live
Warren
On the news the other night it was stated that many of the people marching were not Belizeans. So how would then tell just by looking???

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Gringo, Belizeans, who cares, the people that marched and expressed their opinions should all be applauded. What the government is doing is wrong! I'm a gringo but have spent hundreds of thousand of dollars on the Island. The government is crapping on the people that live on the Island, Belizeans and Gringos alike. They have no clue or give a damn less about the impact it will have. The Belize government seems to enjoy "biting the hand that feeds them". Sorry about the spelling, but you do get my drift.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Scubaldy, your post addressed suffles and it could have been taken that you were commenting on that post as opposed to the news broadcast. I agree the news broadcast implied a bias against non-Belizeans. That not being racists, just a prejudice against foreigners.

H
H
Interesting...
When i was living in El Salvador they told me that the word "gringo" is from the war time..
When US army was (is) active there, some locals would say "green go" home, which changed easely to gringo...Just my 2 cents
If I got a dollar for every time they called me a gringo...lol

Get over it guys, Your Gringos!
Government is trying to sell our islands beauty for personal profit before it leaves office.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
What!!! Elbert, voice of reason????

Wow. It must be Christmas or something.... LOL

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,479
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.