Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
E
ERT Offline
E
The last master plan of which I am aware was developed in 1992. But the government did not approve it, and the island today has been developed entirely contrary to it.

S
S
Correct, and the area that South Beach is slated to be built in was specifically zoned as NO development.

marty posted that zoning plan here for all to view.

P
P
Once AC reaches a growth point where it loses its character, tourists will stop coming. This year has been incredibly slow and major work will have to be done to revive the tourist industry. Large scale developments based on a Miami "south beach" model will be devastating for the island.Permitting for these large scale projects, I am sure, will be under review. No one in their right mind would issue permits to dredge large amounts of lagoon north or south in an ecotourism market.You can maintain a steady market by small projects that hire local people.
As for the master plan, it is solid work that needs some revision. I would recommend "chapter meetings" each month, review each chapter in an open town meeting and revise. Then at the end of that process bring it to a town vote and send it to the legislature for approval. This is the time that it has to happen, while the government is new and wants to show that it will listen to the people

I agree with Pam and Reaper, however... The tourists will not stop coming, it will just be a different type of tourist. Tourists range between backpackers in south America and people who never get off their cruise ships.
Development was why our family bailed on Cozumel in the mid 90's. Things got too developed. Too many people, not enough flavor. We are going back to Coz next month for a week and I fear it is just going to re-enforce in my mind why we left. One thing that is apparent, there is no shortage of money or tourists there, just not the same kind of people. This is pretty much what has happened to the whole Caribbean, tourist creep, and the people who had enjoyed these places just keep moving farther south to stay ahead of it. In their wake they leave prosperity (? ? ? ?)

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
bobber - i made a similar comment some time ago...you just added more insight.

tourists will still come, just a different type. the type like those ones who slammed exotic caye and left after 3 days. the cruise-shipper set, the kind who want the beach and palms but do not care what the flavor of the place or people may be. the kind who will point and cringe when seeing the SP that's off the main drag.

i got a pm from someone recently that i knew from this board years ago ...she & her hubby were back on AC for new years...she told me "we are done with AC now.". i first went to AC in '93. i told her by next year, i may say the same thing.

just my personal observations, please don't pound me.

It kinda gets to be a double edged sword, development means tourist $$ and jobs and income for many. It also means AC could turn into Cancun in 20 years, or even worse, it could turn into a skeleton of large run down resorts. We love the quaint, easy going, safe, etc.. San Pedro lifestyle, and would very much love to own property with all of you and live this lifestyle. We also would like to see a planned growth, for that is necessary to keep the island alive and prosperous, and update the infrasture systems that are necessary for all. The key is in the planning, and it already might be too late for some areas.

One thing that really strikes me as odd, and maybe my data is inaccurate: We were told last year that over 700 resort/condo permits were issued on the island. We visited several resorts north as far as Journey's End, during the Easter week. There were hardly any people there. I realize that this could improve with a road, and other infrastructues but will those new 700 resorts survive until then? With 700 resorts occupying oh maybe 20,000 tourists everyday change AC? I would guess very much so, again if they survive. Change will come, and if its planned and managed, hopefully it will be good change, minimal collateral damage and lots of $$ going to the education, safety and environmentals needed to make AC better for everyone that lives there. We wish you all the very best, and we hope to join you all soon in helping to make AC a great place.

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
Jane, we might just hang around a bit longer. We are in that transition period of our lives. We used to start fights, then we just joined in the fights. Now we pretty much just sit at the bar and watch the fights. laugh If we do move on it will be with the same attitude, lookin for something closer to what this used to be. smile

For those that prefer sand streets and a much slower pace there's Caye Caulker. I love to visit Caye Caulker for the day and do so on each trip. I wouldn't however, want to live there.

I like the fact that San Pedro has more to offer.

I think Belize is diverse enough that folks who want solitude can find it and folks who like to have a tropical drink and listen to some good live music can find that also.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
P.S. Not just what we want, but hope for the people of AC. Specifically those great little kids who enjoy their life pretty much as it is. An upgrade in services, but no change in their attitude.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 90 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,043
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.