Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
S
S
That is the issue with the immigration policies, the workers are not illegals but due to current policies they well outnumber Belizeans. That while unemployment runs rampant. A trip to immigration will quickly show the lines of people coming into the country. What is the cost for residency for Central Americans, isn't it something like $50.

P
P
The people funding these large projects are not illegals , they are developers. I agree with Diane and would add the don't kill the golden goose cliche. The only reason people have been attracted to Belize is because of ecotourism. They were willing to pay a bit more for that. Once we become like every other destination, they will leave. The sad thing is that the developers and many US and Canadian residents will also leave and the Belizean people will be stuck with a disaster we created( by spending the money to corrupt officials).

Originally Posted by SimonB
If pugwash is trying to compare US immigration to Belize they're way off base. US unemployment rate is 4.9%.

I was not comparing unemployment rates! That is so off message!!!

I clearly (so I thought) stated that it was an emotional issue, in as much as residents of any city, county or country tend to be protective of others taking jobs (or anything, for that matter!)that they consider to be "theirs" by right: Look at the recent Captains License debates, or comments from those who already have homes in Belize where mangroves used to grow, and now do not want any more clearing done? That is a surely a completely different mindset from realizing the fiscal shortfalls of Local Government, and offering a solution to better roads, refuse collection and school funding?

Last edited by pugwash; 02/13/08 04:54 PM. Reason: that old of and off thing again!

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
S
S
Originally Posted by pugwash

I was advised earlier in either this post or a similar one last week that the GOB "took" all tax monies. If as Jesse states any taxes levied remain within the taxing area, this is a further reason for a revision of the property tax rates currently charged?

The property taxes are levied by central government but left to the town to collect, then operate the town on those funds, plus a small sum from central government. The property tax valuations and rates are very low so don't go far...and then a major amount is never collected. Land owners simply don't pay, and the town has no authority to seize property or otherwise force collection...only take someone to court....a time consuming proposition.

Then a property tax system that values each property at fair market value, but taxes primary residences of legal residents or citizens at a different rate to vacation or rental pool homes would seem to be the obvious solution.

A developer's fee is only good for one time fundraising, while the levying of more reasonable and appropriate property taxes can ensure the continuing quality of vital services, (as long as the administration of these funds is above board of course!)

PS taking someone to court becomes a more viable option if the taxed amount is acctualy worth collecting, or conversley the loss of property is a real threat for non payment

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
S
S
Totally agree on the property tax issue, the town has many debts owed to it, notices go in the paper but you never hear of any action being taken. Probably costs more to collect than the value of the taxes themselves in most cases.

I was adding the PS as you replied!

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Tom McPeak, PhD (no less) has posted an advertisement in the forum pages of Scubaboard.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/219783-diving-recommendations-ambergris-caye-belize.html

He said "i ALSO HAPPEN TO BE THE u.s. sALES ADMINISTRATOR FOR A NEW 800+ ACRE RESORT DEVELOPMENT ON THE SOUTH END OF aMBERGRIS cAYE, CALLED sOUTH bEACH bELIZE (pRE-CONSTRUCTION PRICES ARE VERY REASONABLE - HOUSE AND LOT FOR ABOUT $135/sQUARE FOOT. cHECK OUT www3.southbeachbelize.com/invitation.php, AND CONTACT ME IF i CAN FILL IN ANY DETAILS: TOM MCPEAK, PH.d., [email protected], CELL: 850-774-8501"

Doesn't sound as if it's been halted.

He also posted the same "comment" on my blog.
http://nexpatriates.blogspot.com/2008/02/3-days-in-belize.html

mikeywaz
"criteria for the ideal destination for nexpatriates - Ambergris Caye, Belize meets most of them. Here they are:
1.Naturally beautiful, and beauty is protected."

:-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.