Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
&nbsp BamaB's,
as far as I know, there's no "wireless" in Belize other than cellular or private WiFi. I know my TMobile handheld only works as a phone with $3/minute roaming charges in Belize. No data, no kidding. You're still dependant upon cell towers. I use the BTL chip/SIM in an unlocked cell phone while I'm in Belize or Mexico. Calls to the USA are a fraction of the cost of raoming.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan
&nbsp

Originally Posted by BamaB's
Thank you, Int. service is available & we'll have that, it will only incur the roaming charges from the area, we're considering the wireless set-up just because it wouldn't be as dependent on the availability of cell towers & reception & wouldn't have the roaming charge.

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
So can anyone tell me where you might pick up one of these BTL sim cards? and if you can just put it into your existing AT&T cell phone? That would be cool, but probably not.

Sharon.

Kindness is not weakness.
Pick up the card at the btl office or at Mr. C's cellular world.

Should work in your phone, if it doesn't btl or C's can unlock your phone - but make sure it will work when you head back home - some operations are not reversible.

&nbsp Turquoise Dreams,
there's a BTL office at the airport, just across the parking lot from the taxi stand. You can also buy a SIM card here. AT&T phones will accept SIM cards if they're unlocked, and AT&T will unlock your phone for you.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

&nbsp

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
B
BamaB's Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We got the WiFi cell phone, all you do is find available networks, put in the security code & connect, works great where cell service is spotty but a WiFi is available. I believe this avoids the roaming charges.

Originally Posted by BamaB's
We got the WiFi cell phone, all you do is find available networks, put in the security code & connect, works great where cell service is spotty but a WiFi is available. I believe this avoids the roaming charges.

Generally stuff like this uses VOIP though and BTL is pretty good at blocking VOIP technologies.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
You can almost guarantee that anything based on VoIP will NOT work. BTL have now found a way to interfere with quite sophisticated VPNs. Of course, in the process the entire service gets degraded but what do they care - they have a monopoly and stuff the legality. And a lot of commercial muscle to enforce their wishes on other businesses. What a dreadful company!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,478
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.